StoryMap displaces map notes shown in web map after adding map element

04-14-2020 02:29 PM
SusanWinchell-Sweeney1
New Contributor II
Using the new StoryMaps,  I believe I've found a possible "glitch" -- when adding a map with map notes (and bookmarks), and no matter whether I chose Sidecar, Slideshow or even just the older Map from the content block options, the Map Notes on the original ArcGIS Online web map show up misaligned and distorted from their original placement. Please see attached images - can you please assist? And, here's a link to the map: https://arcg.is/15rjDC
Or -- if not a glitch or bug -- is there something I am doing in error?
Thank you very much! 
Susan
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Susan - The map doesn't seem to be shared publicly, so I couldn't access it.

Often when we hear this type of thing it is because the ArcGIS map viewer is built on the 3.x version of the ArcGIS JavaScript API (Esri's underlying web mapping tech) whereas the new story builder uses the new 4.x version.

Can you try opening your map in the map viewer BETA, which is also built on the 4.x JSAPI to see if you see the same differences? You can find the MVB in the app switcher at the top right near your profile menu in ArcGIS Online.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
SusanWinchell-Sweeney1
New Contributor II

Dear Owen,

Thank you so much for your reply! I've  followed your advice. However, opening the existing map to Map Viewer Beta did exactly the same thing (distorted the placement of the Map Notes text). I thought I might be able to use the Edit tool as well, but it would not work in the Beta Version (only allowing me to Edit the shapefile features, not the Map Notes, even though selected). Then, I thought to add a new Map Notes layer as one would do in the older version of Add>Add Map Notes -- but, that is not even an option in the Beta version (yet, maybe?)

At any rate, I've made the map public -- if you have any other thoughts, I'd very much appreciate it!

Thank you again, 

Susan

0 Kudos
SusanWinchell-Sweeney1
New Contributor II

Dear Owen,

Thank you so much for your reply! I've  followed your advice. However, opening the existing map to Map Viewer Beta did exactly the same thing (distorted the placement of the Map Notes text). I thought I might be able to use the Edit tool as well, but it would not work in the Beta Version (only allowing me to Edit the shapefile features, not the Map Notes, even though selected). Then, I thought to add a new Map Notes layer as one would do in the older version of Add>Add Map Notes -- but, that is not even an option in the Beta version (yet, maybe?)

At any rate, I've made the map public -- if you have any other thoughts, I'd very much appreciate it!

Thank you again, 

0 Kudos
DavidB
by
New Contributor

Thank you for raising this concern, Susan. I'm having similar problems.

Neither the Classic Map Viewer, nor the newer Map Viewer seem fully equipped to prepare Web Maps for the new StoryMaps. As you pointed out, the new StoryMaps performs very erratically in displaying Map Notes from the Classic Map Viewer. These days it seems to do much better with Sketch layers from the newer Map Viewer. Yet the newer Map Viewer seems lacking, as yet, crucial capabilities of the Classic Map Viewer. Copying layers is an example: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/copy-save-layers.htm .

(Similarly, the newer Map Viewer warns: "Pop-ups authored in Map Viewer are not compatible with all apps." Can neither online viewer be fully relied upon for preparing Web Maps for Apps? Importing maps from ArcGIS Pro to Web Apps seems riddled with problems, as well.)

Am I missing something?

Thank you,

David

0 Kudos