Select to view content in your preferred language

Story Maps URL parameters in ArcOnline

Jump to solution
06-19-2023 08:46 AM
Labels (1)
DarylPilgrim
New Contributor

I am setting up a simple Explorer tour using the default layout provided. I am trying to have the map load on a specific location depending on which webpage a user is on. For example, when someone visits a webpage for a specific park, I want the embedded map to go to the third location in the tour. I found this tutorial that says that adding &index=# to the url is the solution but whenever I try it my Storymaps errors out. Is there a solution to this?

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=39d10595904d40eea9f20cef9a782bf8

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

@DarylPilgrim

I also wanted to follow up here and confirm if you are using a classic template like Cascade or Series, or a story made in ArcGIS StoryMaps? I had missed your original reference to an Explorer tour, which sounds like you may be in the ArcGIS StoryMaps builder.

If that is the case, the URL formatting you're looking for is not yet supported in the ArcGIS StoryMaps builder. The article you sent is referencing workflows supported in the classic templates. We are looking at adding this URL parameter capability down the line. I'll make sure to update this post if and when that functionality is implemented in the ArcGIS StoryMaps builder.

Apologies for the initial confusion! Please let me know if you are in fact using a classic story template.

--Abby

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @DarylPilgrim ,

Could you send the format of the URL you are getting errors on? Also, what error are you getting when the link fails? As a note, I would make sure you also include the &embed before the &index. 

--Abby

0 Kudos
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

@DarylPilgrim

I also wanted to follow up here and confirm if you are using a classic template like Cascade or Series, or a story made in ArcGIS StoryMaps? I had missed your original reference to an Explorer tour, which sounds like you may be in the ArcGIS StoryMaps builder.

If that is the case, the URL formatting you're looking for is not yet supported in the ArcGIS StoryMaps builder. The article you sent is referencing workflows supported in the classic templates. We are looking at adding this URL parameter capability down the line. I'll make sure to update this post if and when that functionality is implemented in the ArcGIS StoryMaps builder.

Apologies for the initial confusion! Please let me know if you are in fact using a classic story template.

--Abby

DarylPilgrim
New Contributor

@AbbyE_Esri 

I am using the ArcGIS StoryMaps builder. Since that is the case, I will have to wait for the functionality in future updates. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

0 Kudos