Story Maps that follow you?

12-10-2019 05:17 AM
JohnSasso
New Contributor II

I have a potential client who is looking for a web map with the following features:

1. will connect to their website (so they can track access #s)

2. will know where the person is located, so that if they are in the web map and standing in front of some historic site, the web map will bring up photos and history of the site, all based on where they are currently located.  no need for the user to explicitly indicate where they are

It would essentially serve as a walking tour, so feature #2 is most pertinent to this design.  I would like to do this in ArcGIS Story Maps but cannot find anything on how to implement this with such "smarts."  Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated!

--john

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeifJohnson3
Occasional Contributor II

It sounds like a web app might be a solution to your second question.  There might be a template already created for that sort of thing or you could create your own using the webapp builder.  I believe this could then be embedded into your story map.  As for tracking viewers, I'm not really sure on what you can do aside from adding a Google analytics account.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

We're planning to add the ability for authors to add a "Locate me" button to a story in a release coming in Q1 of 2020.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
JohnSasso
New Contributor II

Owen, thank you very much for the response!  This "Locate me" button is great and looking forward to seeing its release.

0 Kudos