Select to view content in your preferred language

Story Maps not loading

Jump to solution
05-02-2023 11:32 AM
NancyMontes_de_Soto
New Contributor

I am getting a blank page when I am trying to open several of my story maps. I created the story maps long ago, and in the past I had seen a sad face sometimes, but this time I am getting a blank page. I refreshed the page several times and that worked some times but not others. I am using Google Chrome. But I also tried in Microsoft Edge and Firebox - same issue. They were working fine a couple of week ago. Any help?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

The issue of some stories not loading has been resolved. We are investigating the root cause and monitoring our infrastructure closely.

Please post here if you continue to observe this issue.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

81 Replies
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

@NancyMontes_de_Soto

I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue. Do the stories begin to load and then give a blank page, or is the web page white as soon as you load the page? Could you send a link to one of the stories if it is public so I can take a look?

--Abby

NancyMontes_de_Soto
New Contributor

I get the title and the blue thing on the left side...

StoryMapsIssue.PNG

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@NancyMontes_de_Soto -- Your screenshot shows the web address for an ArcGIS Hub site, not a StoryMap. Do you have a link to a publicly shared story that we can check?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
SamPalmer
New Contributor III

I'm at the same org as @NancyMontes_de_Soto. The issue doesn't appear to be limited to just her hub-linked storymaps, I'm seeing it intermittently for all of our storymaps. Here is a random example:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/7dcbd4729b4040fc8db1e43df294eede

It will load sometimes, and not others.

0 Kudos
GIS_Fox
Regular Contributor

@AbbyE_Esri , we have the same issue, our public facing storymaps have failed to load and the full white screen is the same as @NancyMontes_de_Soto . All storymaps we have are down.

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
SaraJL
by
Occasional Contributor III

I also just reported the same issue!

Same thing here - white screen in all of the browsers. Tried clearing out the cache - I can access it in Edit mode on admin permissions, but not in View mode. Republishing doesn't fix it. Chrome Incognito window doesn't fix it.

Duplicating the project fixes it - the new project works just fine, but the original project still gets hung up. But I don't think it's realistic to just keep duplicating projects if they crash.

I was working with tech support - they say it's a known issue, but they don't have a fix for it. Here was my post on it: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/story-maps-freeze-at-loading-screen/m-p/128497...

They just told me to wait it out and said that others were reporting the same issue - but ESRI themselves can't verify the cause. Oooof

If anyone learns anything knew - let us know! I'm out of troubleshooting ideas.

GIS_Fox
Regular Contributor

Some of our users report the issue is no longer present, and I can see this as well but am still seeing some slowdowns or access issues to the data embedded in the published Public storymaps. 4pm Mountain Time for resolved mostly. Non-hub site linked storymaps have been affected.

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

The issue of some stories not loading has been resolved. We are investigating the root cause and monitoring our infrastructure closely.

Please post here if you continue to observe this issue.

Owen Evans
StefanieWenker
Occasional Contributor

We had this issue today again on May 9th. https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/ac3d883595614326b9071fbc49ccc251. It seems to be intermittent. It won't work and then sometime later it does.

Looking at developers mode doesn't help, it just says error.