Sidecar text link for different fonts.

09-10-2019 07:00 AM
LeifJohnson3
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to add a link to the text in a sidecar, but it seems like you can only do that if the text is in normal paragraph font.  It'd be great to be able to add a link to text regardless of whether it's in a heading, sub-header, or regular font.

4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Leif -- Thanks for the feedback. Our design team felt that adding links to headings is not a best practice. I believe having links in headings can also negatively impact the SEO ranking of your story. Can you share some more detail about why you'd want a hyperlink in a heading so we can consider your request?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
ShanaCrosson2
New Contributor III

Owen -

Thank you for not adding a link option to a header. For accessibility purposes, headings should never be links. (It's extremely annoying when using a screen reader.) 

LeifJohnson3
Occasional Contributor II

Owen - thanks for the reply.  The reason I would use links in headers is that I often use subheaders, or even headers, as the main font size because it's easier for people to read and can look better in general sometimes.  I find this to be especially true with sidecars.  The larger font size allows me to fill up more of that empty space with less text, getting the point across quicker while still being aesthetically pleasing to look at.  I completely understand that there are aesthetic issues with having links in those headers as well though.  It's just something I found myself wishing I could do, but it's not a big deal.  I've been able to get around this by just adding a button below the text for whatever I'm trying to link to.

Thanks,

Leif

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Leif -- OK, thanks for your reply. As mentioned above that's not really a best practice, but we realize there isn't any other way to do it right now. To remedy this we are looking at providing one or more additional font size options for regular (non-header) text in a future release. Thanks for validating that this is something that you'd use.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps