Select to view content in your preferred language

Inserting an ArcGIS Dashboard item to StoryMap

Jump to solution
11-21-2023 07:17 AM
Labels (2)
HanZheng
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am developing a story map in my ArcGIS Online site. The story and other ArcGIS Online items in that Project Delivery Site are not being shared publicly. When we deliveries our work, we share to specific users with accounts. Therefore, viewers usually go through an login process before they land at story map page.

In one of the slides of my story, I need to insert an ArcGIS Dashboard I set up in the same site. What I did previously was to copy the link of the Dashboard and insert link as embedded web content. However, it looks like if I am doing it this way, viewers need to login again inside the story. This is not ideal to me because I planned to have the preview of the dashboard displayed there when viewers scroll to the page as it serves a similar purpose as a regular map. Requiring user to log in again before they can see it compromises the vibe of story. (Imagine viewers have to login for every web map inserted in ArcGIS Story Map). I wonder if there is a way that this can show up just like web map without double checking credential for the same site the viewers have already signed in.

The Sharing configuration of all the contents used in this StoryMap is Owner+specific groups.

HanZheng_0-1700578961533.png

Another issue I had with embedded web content is that when I my embedded content is a Power BI dashboard. It takes forever for credential to be checked and clear. Usually a few minutes. For instance, I click to log in and got clear by Microsoft. The dashboard won't show up until I finished reading the story. I wonder if it might be an issue only in StoryMap because my collogue told me that she embedded the Power BI content to an experience builder project and that works just fine.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ValerieCaden-Baptiste
Esri Contributor

Hello, are you using the organization-specific URL or generic ArcGIS Online URL to embed the Dashboard in the StoryMap:

If you are using your organization-specific URL, can you instead try embedding the generic URL?

View solution in original post

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@HanZheng -- @ValerieCaden-Baptiste is correct! You simply need to embed the dashboard using your organization's URL and things will work as you expect. Using the organization URL provides the additional piece of information that is required for the credentials to successfully be shared between the story and the embedded dashboard.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ValerieCaden-Baptiste
Esri Contributor

Hello, are you using the organization-specific URL or generic ArcGIS Online URL to embed the Dashboard in the StoryMap:

If you are using your organization-specific URL, can you instead try embedding the generic URL?

HanZheng
New Contributor II

Hello, I am using generic online url copied from item detail.

Its format is like https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/<itemID>

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@HanZheng -- @ValerieCaden-Baptiste is correct! You simply need to embed the dashboard using your organization's URL and things will work as you expect. Using the organization URL provides the additional piece of information that is required for the credentials to successfully be shared between the story and the embedded dashboard.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
HanZheng
New Contributor II

Yes, using organization-specific url seems to resolve the issue.

Thanks!