Select to view content in your preferred language

Hosting a storymap on a wordpress site

Jump to solution
05-23-2022 01:24 PM
SallyPaul
New Contributor

Hello, 

One of our partners is trying to host a storymap on their wordpress website. When they try to embed the storymap using the iframe embed code, they get an error message saying that iframe tags are not supported for security reasons. This is surprising to me given how common iframe is. 

How would you recommend hosting/embedding a storymap on a wordpress site? Is there a workaround for this? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm not sure, but as long as your story is shared publicly there's no restriction from the StoryMaps side with embedding a story in another website. Unless someone who happens to see this thread has WP experience, I think you'll have to work with Wordpress support or post on their forums to get an answer.

However, I should add that embedding a story in another website often isn't a good solution anyway. If you only have limited space for the story on the page, that can negatively impact your readers' experience. They may be forced to try to use the story in a small frame on your main page.

For these reasons, be sure to test to see how the story works if someone accesses your WP site on a small device, like a phone. Does the embedded story still work well? If not, I'd recommend linking out to the story rather than trying to embed it. That way, readers are always opening the story in a new browser tab and will always get the best possible experience no matter what device they are using.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm not sure, but as long as your story is shared publicly there's no restriction from the StoryMaps side with embedding a story in another website. Unless someone who happens to see this thread has WP experience, I think you'll have to work with Wordpress support or post on their forums to get an answer.

However, I should add that embedding a story in another website often isn't a good solution anyway. If you only have limited space for the story on the page, that can negatively impact your readers' experience. They may be forced to try to use the story in a small frame on your main page.

For these reasons, be sure to test to see how the story works if someone accesses your WP site on a small device, like a phone. Does the embedded story still work well? If not, I'd recommend linking out to the story rather than trying to embed it. That way, readers are always opening the story in a new browser tab and will always get the best possible experience no matter what device they are using.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
SallyPaul
New Contributor

Thank you, Owen!

0 Kudos