embedding storymap to website using <iframe> issue

Jump to solution
05-18-2020 06:57 PM
AshwiniSuryawanshi
New Contributor II

I am embedding storymap to website using <iframe> but my storymap's header is not displaying in iframe and also I am unable to execute client side script ( jquery/javascript function ) on iframe. Awaiting your response as I am not able to move further wit

We have storymap with its header and footer. I need to embed it in our website. For this. I am using iframe.  I am facing below issues :

1. Storymap and other contents like maps, pages and footer is getting displayed in iframe except header.

2. Tried to execute jquery functions on iframe, like "scroll","click" etc but these events are not executing.  

I will appreciate your quick response as I am not able to move further with above issues. I tried everything I could from google. its been a week I am struggling with these issues. Awaiting for your reply

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Ashwini -- 

1. Storymap and other contents like maps, pages and footer is getting displayed in iframe except header.

This is by design. Having a header on a story that is embedded in another web page can be confusing. The story cover will display the title, but the story relies on the parent page to provide a header, social sharing buttons, etc.

2. Tried to execute jquery functions on iframe, like "scroll","click" etc but these events are not executing.  

This is expected behavior for iframes and is not a limitation of the story map. Please review the purpose and security limitations of iframes in your favorite web developer documentation, for example here. Iframes to not permit access to DOM events of the embedded page unless they have the same origin. 

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

7 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Ashwini -- 

1. Storymap and other contents like maps, pages and footer is getting displayed in iframe except header.

This is by design. Having a header on a story that is embedded in another web page can be confusing. The story cover will display the title, but the story relies on the parent page to provide a header, social sharing buttons, etc.

2. Tried to execute jquery functions on iframe, like "scroll","click" etc but these events are not executing.  

This is expected behavior for iframes and is not a limitation of the story map. Please review the purpose and security limitations of iframes in your favorite web developer documentation, for example here. Iframes to not permit access to DOM events of the embedded page unless they have the same origin. 

Owen Evans
AshwiniSuryawanshi
New Contributor II

Hi Owen,

Thank you for reply. 

I got the second point and I can skip this. 

Details for 1st point: 

Above like you said , ' The story cover will display the title, but the story relies on the parent page to provide a header, social sharing buttons, etc '. we have this as you said.

We have a page with all this at  here : https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/somealphanumericvalues. (I mean,  this page have social sharing buttons and a small text etc.)

Now, I have to embed this page in our website along with our office's header and footer. so in all,my html page is like below

<html>

<head></head>

<body>

<our header>

<iframe for embedding this page at https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/somealphanumericvalues.>

<our footer>

</body>

</html>

But when I run/open this page in browser, it shows our header , iframe with page at above location and footer.

But iframe with page at above location is skipping the the part where we have those social sharing buttons and text.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

I am not familiar with storymaps but our office uses it and they have designed the page with storymap which i have to embed in our website.

0 Kudos
AshwiniSuryawanshi
New Contributor II

And also when you say - ' The story cover will display the title, but the story relies on the parent page to provide a header, social sharing buttons, etc ' by this do you mean your parent page i.e. storymap page itself which I am embedding

OR

My website page where I am embedding storymap page

I cannot attach the original images but I recreated the overall designing in microsoft pain, attaching the same for more clarification.storymap pageWebsite page

0 Kudos
AshwiniSuryawanshi
New Contributor II

Good morning Owen!

This answer is not completely correct. Please have a look at my other comment and question. Please clarify why story map' header is not getting embedded?

Awaiting for reply.

0 Kudos
AshwiniSuryawanshi
New Contributor II

ArcGIS StoryMapsEsri Technical Support Esri India  I am requesting you guys please look into this issue and help me to understand the actual cause behind this.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Ashwini -- As mentioned in my response above, the header is not shown by design when a story is embedded. This is expected behavior.

We will monitor your request to see if others would like the header to be shown, but currently our product design is to always hide the header on stories when embedded.

Owen Evans
AshwiniSuryawanshi
New Contributor II

Thank you so much Owen! Now I completely understood the whole situation.