Editing storymap by users in different organizations

Jump to solution
12-11-2020 08:28 AM
GISUser19
New Contributor II

Hi all, we have seen some other threads that seem to allow for shared edits by user in groups within the same organization. Unfortunately none of the solutions are working for us - while we are able to share edits of Storymaps between users in our organization, we very much want to be able to share edit ability of storymaps with users in other organizations who we have added as collaborators to groups. We believe we have set everything up correctly but it still does not allow people from outside the organization to edit the Storymaps. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@miho Yep! Since the April 2021 update, it is now possible to collaborate on items, including storymaps, across organizations.

You can check out this article for more information about this feature:

Partnered Collaboration: Working together across ArcGIS Online Organizations (esri.com)

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

8 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello -- Thanks for posting this question. Currently, the ArcGIS platform does not support shared editing across organizations. This is not a limitation of StoryMaps—this is the case for all ArcGIS item types.

I'd recommend adding an idea to the ArcGIS Online idea board (or upvoting an existing idea if it's there already). For reference, this is documented in the ArcGIS Online help system here:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/create-groups.htm

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 11.38.11 AM.jpg

Owen Evans
GISUser19
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for your reply - the software instructions suggest that editing across organizations is allowed if a group is set up properly. It is good to know that, in fact, this isn't possible. We definitely would appreciate this ability and in the meantime will have to look for other platforms to provide this functionality. 

Anyone have suggestions for a work around?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you please provide a screenshot or reference to the place where the instructions suggest that editing is possible across orgs? I can forward that to the correct team so they can take a look.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
GISUser19
New Contributor II

Yes - it's described here: Share items—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation under "Share Items with Another Organization". The instructions describe the ability of the other organization's users to contribute content, which to us implies that they can edit content we have created. Apparently that is not the case?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for sharing that. The page you've referenced doesn't mention the special case of providing editing access to people in other organizations. It's a general page about creating and inviting people to groups, which are primary used for sharing content to view (not edit).

The link and screenshot I shared above—which is the page that describes how to give other people access to edit an item via a group—does explicitly state that if that option is enabled on a group, the group's membership is limited to members of your organization.

I apologize for the confusion. I understand it can be difficult to find the right information since the ArcGIS help system is large. I can suggest that the documentation team add a note to the page you were reviewing to make it more clear that cross-org editing collaborations aren't possible at this time.

Owen Evans
miho
by
New Contributor

@OwenGeo With the ArcGIS Online update in April 2021, can we use Collaboration to edit story maps between two organizations now?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@miho Yep! Since the April 2021 update, it is now possible to collaborate on items, including storymaps, across organizations.

You can check out this article for more information about this feature:

Partnered Collaboration: Working together across ArcGIS Online Organizations (esri.com)

Owen Evans
miho
by
New Contributor

Thanks for getting back to me Owen!
I've set up the collaboration with editing enabled and added the necessary people to edit. Then I added the story map and now I see the option to configure/edit the story map but once I select that option I get the following.

Currently, that story map is shared with me by another user from a different organization and has an organization-only share setting. 

miho_1-1625670571885.png

Is there a particular step I missed?

PS. One of the organizations is a SAML login infrastructure... not sure if that complicates things...

0 Kudos