Select to view content in your preferred language

Downloading data from embedded dashboard app within story map

Jump to solution
10-16-2023 09:39 AM
Labels (3)
JimMiller3
New Contributor III

Good morning - I have a story map that combines a text narrative and one or more embedded dashboards per sidecar slide.

As people scroll through the story map, the visible dashboards change. People like this experience a lot.

In response to feedback, we want to add the functionality to download summarized .csv data from the dashboards within the story map. I've enabled summarized data download in the dashboard. When I click the download button in the story map, there's a message that the download has started with a progress bar (see screen grab below.)

download screen grab.png

But I can't find a downloaded .csv file anywhere at the end.

I came across this 2022 post and the provided solution from @OwenGeo.

So my questions here are, notwithstanding the downloading in progress message I get, is it still the case no one can download data from an app within a story map? Or is a file actually being downloaded as the message in my story map says? If so, where is the .csv file going and how should we advise users?

I read the advice in the 2022 post to link out to apps and let people download the data that way. For us, though, the best user experience would be to keep everyone within this Story Map app. Also we'd still have the problem of people seeing dashboard download buttons in the story map, clicking them, and wondering where the file went. Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JimMiller3 -- The dashboard team was able to add this in the update a few weeks ago, so downloading data should now work when a dashboard is embedded in a StoryMap, another dashboard, or any other web page with similar security protocols.

Please check it out and let us know how it's working for you.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @JimMiller3 ,

Unfortunately, this is still the case that downloading data from within embedded content is not possible due to the reason Owen had mentioned in that prior post. One way you may be able to encourage people to download the data outside of the application would be to add a button to open the app in a new tab, like this:

AbbyE_Esri_1-1698333373938.png

AbbyE_Esri_0-1698333334481.png

You could then add a note at the top of the embedded content to encourage readers to use that button to open the application in a new tab before downloading the content.

We understand this is a little frustrating as it breaks up the reader's interaction with the content, but it's our best solution at the moment to allow as much interaction with embedded content without compromising security concerns.

Thanks for your question!

--Abby

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

We have also made the dashboard dev team aware of this limitation when dashboards are embedded in StoryMaps or other web pages with similar security policies. We're in discussions with them and hope to get this prioritized to be addressed in one of their future updates.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JimMiller3 -- The dashboard team was able to add this in the update a few weeks ago, so downloading data should now work when a dashboard is embedded in a StoryMap, another dashboard, or any other web page with similar security protocols.

Please check it out and let us know how it's working for you.

Owen Evans
Rebecca_LiljaFS
New Contributor III

@OwenGeo @AbbyE_Esri Is the Dashboard team working on allowing data download capability for dashboards in  Experience Builder?   Currently the data download is blocked.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm sorry, we don't know. I would think the work the Dashboard team did would allow file downloads in other embedded scenarios outside of StoryMaps. It would be good to check with those teams if you are seeing an issue with that combination of apps.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
JimMiller3
New Contributor III

That is great news, @OwenGeo and @AbbyE_Esri . Thank you for your help on this.

0 Kudos