Customize sidecar navigation buttons

Jump to solution
11-20-2020 11:10 AM
ZakariMumuni
New Contributor

I am trying to custimise a sidecar in the new story maps. Is there a way to customize the dots located on the far side of the Narrative Panel? The dots act as a navigation method through the sidecar, letting the user know how far in the slides they are or jump to a specific slide. Ideally, I want to make it function similar to the  StoryMaps Classic Journal version, where there is a home icon, tooltips, next, and previous arrows. 

I have tried looking through sidecar tutorials but they only describe how to do things I already did to my sidecar (eg. add content, reorder slides).  However, I have seen this tutorial/blog post that uses a customized version of the sidecar navigation but does not mention how to achieve what they did. They made the three dots into a visual 'page number/total page number', (eg. 03/11).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @ZakariMumuni - The "3/11" indicator automatically replaces the dots if there are more than 10 slides in the sidecar.

I don't think we'd add a "home" button, since in ArcGIS StoryMaps a sidecar is always part of a longer story with its own cover, but we do have an update to this experience coming in a few weeks that is somewhat reminiscent of the classic Journal navigation. Stay tuned!

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @ZakariMumuni - The "3/11" indicator automatically replaces the dots if there are more than 10 slides in the sidecar.

I don't think we'd add a "home" button, since in ArcGIS StoryMaps a sidecar is always part of a longer story with its own cover, but we do have an update to this experience coming in a few weeks that is somewhat reminiscent of the classic Journal navigation. Stay tuned!

Owen Evans
PGebhardt_Stone_Env
New Contributor III

Hi @OwenGeo, the current version of ArcGIS StoryMaps automatically changes the sidecar navigation from dots to numbers when there are more than 5 slides. I have a situation where I have multiple sidecars in a story and all except one have more than 5 slides. Is there a way to make the sidecar navigation look the same in a story, despite the number of slides in each sidecar?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@PGebhardt_Stone_Env -- The navigation style is not configurable at this time, but if you'd like to see this considered for a future update, please share your feedback on the ideas board.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos