Custom Image Isnt Loading

10-04-2019 12:10 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I built a simple map of offices and each pop up includes office details.   I included a custom image to represent each city where the office is located, but when I add it to the story map the custom image doesn’t load.  Its just a black dot.  Any clue as to why this would be happening?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Monika -- Sorry you are having an issue getting your map to look the way you expect in your story. Can you please provide a link to the web map and screenshots of the differences you are seeing so we can help troubleshoot this issue?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Monika -- Unfortunately your story isn't published to everyone, so I can't access it. Could you please share a link directly to the web map and make sure it's publicly shared so I can see it to take a look?

In the meantime, something to check is that you are using secure HTTPS links (not insecure HTTP links) when referencing the image symbols in the web map.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Monika -- OK, I see what's going on. That is not a valid link to an image item on ArcGIS. Links used to reference images or embed content should never contain a security token since tokens expire and are only valid for certain users/situations/times. You can get a proper image link by following the process in this blog.

It's no longer needed for troubleshooting since we've found the issue, but that link you provided to the web map isn't valid either. Web map links will always contain an ID, like this:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=f35ef07c9ed24020aadd65c8a65d3754 

You can get this link from the web map item page or by using the Share button in the map viewer (which gives a short link that expands to the link that contains the web map ID). Sometimes you'll see the web map ID in the address bar when using the map viewer, but I believe it depends on how you opened the map.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos