Can users click and add comments to Story Maps?

Jump to solution
10-16-2020 03:27 AM
LisaMcRavey
New Contributor

Is it possible to have an interactive Story Map where a user can click and leave comments or input anywhere on the map? And then potentially reply to comments of other people, etc? Or is a StoryMap more for displaying and querying information already set up? My understanding was the latter, but I'm curious about the former!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Lisa -- StoryMaps are targeted more toward presenting information, specifically in a storytelling use case. However, even though that's not a primary purpose, there are a few ways to get reader-contributed or crowdsourced information into a story. Here's an example that might interest you: Crowdsourced Mapping for ArcGIS StoryMaps—Easy as 123 

Esri also has other crowdsourcing apps that might fit your need, and you can learn about those here and here.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Lisa -- StoryMaps are targeted more toward presenting information, specifically in a storytelling use case. However, even though that's not a primary purpose, there are a few ways to get reader-contributed or crowdsourced information into a story. Here's an example that might interest you: Crowdsourced Mapping for ArcGIS StoryMaps—Easy as 123 

Esri also has other crowdsourcing apps that might fit your need, and you can learn about those here and here.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
RaySchaller
New Contributor

Hi Owen

Like Lisa, I would find the adding of comments to a storybook beneficial. Currently I am investigating whether it would be beneficial to convert a pdf spatial development plan (or any other spatial plan) into the storymap format. I would like to add tags to key words in the text (to enhance the search capabilities). I would like the user to have the ability to add comments to both the text and to the maps. Other users should also have the ability to add comments to these comments, thus building a comments trail (similar to Facebook). This could assist us in process of developing spatial plans from the draft to the production of the final report where stakeholders are required to comment on drafts. 

If users had the ability to add comments to final reports, would be beneficial when it comes to the time where we are required to update a spatial plan, e.g. every 5 years. A Environmental Officer or Planner, on using the Spatial Plan, may have an opinion on a particular section or map and would like these inputs to be considered in future updates. What usually happens is that when it comes to the time that a particular plan has to be updated, a new plan is developed without the knowledge of these concerns being considered. 

With regards tags on keywords, I am sure there is a way that sections of text can be tagged for future searches. 

Regards

Ray Schaller

0 Kudos