Can't remove title/header from story map

Jump to solution
06-29-2022 06:16 AM
MackenzieHickie
New Contributor

I am unable to remove the header/title section from my story map. I saw a previous post stating I am able to do so, but the option to click "hide header" is nowhere to be found. Can someone help me figure out how to completely remove the header/title? I am using my story map only for the guided map, and do not need any sort of title at all. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MackenzieHickie -- Are you embedding your story in another website? If so, when you generate the embed code you can check on the option to hide the cover. Does this work for you?

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 9.25.01 AM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MackenzieHickie -- Are you embedding your story in another website? If so, when you generate the embed code you can check on the option to hide the cover. Does this work for you?

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 9.25.01 AM.jpg

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MackenzieHickie
New Contributor

Hi!

Thanks for getting back to me. That should work. Can you let me know the steps of generating the embed code? Sorry, I'm new to this!

Also, if I were to just link the story map on a separate website so it directed to the story map, is there a way to remove the header? Or only if I embed it?

Thanks again!!

0 Kudos
AliAwadBUK
New Contributor III

Hi Owen,

I used the same steps as you mentioned above but I got this scrolling on the right, how can I disable this or deal with it? 

AliAwadBUK_0-1699461634121.png

Thanks

Ali

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AliAwadBUK -- I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure how to help. This question appears to be more about your web page than it is about the story you are embedding in it. I'm not sure what your page looks like or what code you're using for the page you're embedding the story in.

If you can share more information here someone may be able to help, or you may get better results by posting your question on another site like Stack Overflow where you can ask a question about how to adjust the code of your web page to get the result you are looking for.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

To go to that screen I showed above, view any story and go to the ... menu in the header and click Embed this story.

If you are linking to your story, you can just add "?cover=false" to the end of your story link and that will hide the cover (or "?cover=false&header=false" to hide both the header and cover). For example: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/c87bc0a59c0144008e25d50a5dd1b192?cover=false&header=false 

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
VickiKramer1
New Contributor II

Just so I am clear, there is no way to turn off the cover/header within the StoryMap Builder?  The only way to do that is if you manipulate the URL?  What if you don't want to embed the storymap and still want to remove the cover/header from your story because you don't need it?

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@VickiKramer1 -- Correct, that is not currently an option. If you are interested in seeing this added in the future, I would recommend upvoting this idea: Disable StoryMaps Cover - Esri Community.

If you happen to be using the story in a collection, you can hide the story cover when it appears in a collection in the collection item options. There is more information about that in the idea thread I linked to above.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos