Select to view content in your preferred language

Allow / Disallow Expand Image in a Gallery

12-05-2023 07:16 PM
Labels (1)
KathrynHailes
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have five images in an image gallery, and for some reason two of the images allow the user to expand them, and three of the images don't.  I cant seem to find a setting anywhere which allows / disallows this.

Does anyone know what may be causing this inconsistency?  I'm wondering if it is file size or image resolution related?

Thanks for your help/ideas.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichelleCasey2
Esri Contributor

For the images that do not expand, when you view the story and hover over an image do you not see a magnifying glass to expand it into a full-page viewer? 

For those same images, if you select the settings cog of an image within a sidecar can you choose to have the image either "Fill (Crop)" or "Fit (Do Not Crop)"?  Does this affect the behaviour you're experiencing?

0 Kudos
KathrynHailes
New Contributor III

Unfortunately there are no image options which allow the choice of "Fill (Crop)" or "Fit (Do Not Crop)".  I see that another user (LaurenFrick_RES) is experiencing the same issue.  I too am using the Image Gallery with Dynamic Squares and the first two images in the gallery allow the images to expand, but the others do not. 

Any solutions or assistance that you are able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
LaurenFrick_RES
New Contributor II

I am also having this issue with an Image Gallery (Dynamic Squares style). Some images have a magnifying glass that allows users to expand the image on click, but others only show a regular cursor on hover, and nothing happens on click. I'm not seeing any options to modify the fill/fit behavior on the images within the gallery. Here is a screenshot of what the configuration options on the gallery images look like when I click on the cog wheel:

LaurenFrick_RES_0-1701977329738.png

LaurenFrick_RES_1-1701977360067.png

Here is a link to the StoryMap in question: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/42fb258f5513409e9e77ac4edc8c3e4d?item=1

Under the "History in Pictures" heading, you will notice that the first two images in the gallery allow expand to full screen, while none of the following images expand.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

We've found a recently introduced bug that is causing this issue. We are still investigating, but we hope to address this in our next update on Dec 20.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
KathrynHailes
New Contributor III

Thanks for the update Owen, appreciate it

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

The conditions that caused this issue have been addressed. Essentially, the issue was that when a gallery image's options were edited, the image was set to no longer be expandable. This will no longer happen.

However, please note the fix that was deployed does not automatically make any images affected by this bug expandable. If you have a story affected by this issue, please re-add the affected gallery images to make them expandable again.

You should be able to add images you already uploaded from the "This story" tab of the media picker. You can also copy/paste any attribution or alt text from the original to the new image, and then remove the original image from the gallery. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos