Support for SVGs

10-06-2021 11:02 AM
Labels (1)
KayceeFaunce
New Contributor III

From this thread. I think there's a lot of potential in jazzing up StoryMaps using images/infographics - these not only make the products more interesting to the viewer and can help explain complicated topics, but are also a way to overcome some of the limited formatting options offered in the newest builder. However, a problem inherent in relying on images that contain text is that the text is not accessible (you can't select it, copy it, search for it, and it cannot be read by screen readers) and sometimes the images are not crisp, which places some burden on the viewer trying to view the image.

I know that we are able to upload SVGs as an image type, but the current method removes a lot of the functionality inherent in the SVG format (scalability, accessible text). I'm wondering if it would be feasible to allow alternative methods for uploading and working with interactive/scalable SVGs directly into the StoryMap builder? Perhaps using a method that shows a PNG fallback if the viewer is using an unsupported browser.

Thanks for reading/considering this!

1 Comment
HermanHootsen

A use case to support Support for SVGs.

Better support for SVG in storymaps could make it possible to add maps were users can open a webpage (e.g. another storymap) directly by clicking a feature on the map.

One can add a link to a Web Map by adding a pop-up to a feature, containing the URL of a webpage. This however is less user-friendly. The user has to click a second time before the linkage tot the other webpage is activated. In my case, users expect to be directed from the map to the webpage directly. It also happens that when zooming in on the map on a mobile device, the pop-up containing the link is partly placed outside the screen. Using an interactive SVG map could help to overcome these issues.

An example of a clickable SVG map can be found here: https://varendoejesamen.nl/storage/app/media/knooppunten/vdjs-regios.svg