HTML and CSS code

02-03-2021 10:30 AM
Labels (1)
ToniEwton
New Contributor II

Classic Story Maps had the ability to add custom HTML code and set CSS styling. I use that feature for tables in the paragraph block with map actions that link to specific locations within a map. Please bring that feature into the new Story Maps. 

Tags (2)
28 Comments
TiesBlaauw

We would also like to use mamoto for analytics purposes. In an Instant App now it's only possible to select Adobe or Google to analyse. Please add more choises. Our concernpolicy doesn't allow us to use Google or Adobe...

MeghanMcGaffin_SLR

I need to be able to adjust boundaries around images and condense spacing between elements on the page.  The default settings leave a lot of empty space on the screen.  Custom html capabilities would be extremely helpful.

WouterHajnal

I had the same issue. We ended up referencing a Dashboard (with a table inside) in our ArcGIS Storymap.

OwenGeo

We are working on adding the ability to add simple tables to ArcGIS StoryMaps. This is planned for Q3 of 2023. It sounds like this will meet the needs of at least some people commenting on/following this thread.

@TiesBlaauw - I would suggest that you post a separate idea for your request to support Matomo as an analytics provider.

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

For anyone upvoting this idea, I would recommend that you please comment with the reason(s) you are requesting HTML/CSS support in the story builder so we can better understand the reasons for and nature of your request.

MattiasEkström

@OwenGeo  Tables were the specific need when I upvoted and commented this idea a year and a half ago. But in a future story map it my be another unsupported html element I need. I don't have a specific example right now.
When it comes to custom CSS, there are times when I want to make exceptions to the theme to illustrate/highlight something.
What's bothering me right now is that I can't change the turquoise background color of the "active story button"  in a collection. But that should be possible when you create your own theme in my opinion.

SueDonaldson

@OwenGeo  - Often in order for our story maps to be consistent with our overall website style we require more customization to styles and fonts than we have access to in themes. Having the ability to add custom CSS would help us create a more cohesive user experience for our website users. Thank you!

LindseyHarris

Hi @OwenGeo. We need to be able to edit the HTML code in order to connect our storymap page to google analytics. We went through the steps in the storymaps setting, but when we tried to pull data in, GA gave us a few lines of code that need to be added after the <head>. 

OwenGeo

@ToniEwton@WouterHajnal@MattiasEkström -- You can now add tables to your stories. For more information, seeWhat’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (August 2023) (esri.com)

OwenGeo

@LindseyHarris -- Are you able to provide more information about the limitation you are running into with the current native support for Google Analytics in ArcGIS StoryMaps? To start collecting data, you just need to add your Google Analytics Tracking ID and publish the story (see screenshot, below). No additional code is required.

For more information, see the documentation: Configure story settings—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 6.20.08 PM.jpg