Select to view content in your preferred language

Zonal statistics query

Jump to solution
04-21-2016 12:17 PM
MS10
by
New Contributor

Hi, I have two rasters (Hyrdological Soil Group (HSG) and Land Cover) and i'm trying to find the average HSG for each land cover type. The HSG raster contains the values 2,3 and 4 and there are 23 different land cover types. I've tried using zonal statistics using the mean statistics type, but this results in mean values ranging from 2.58 to 3.47. I would like just single numbers (i.e 2,3 or 4) for each land cover type, is there a way around this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

When working with categorical data, (such as your HSG data) being summarized with another categorical data set (like you Land Covers)... you cannot calculate a 'mean' class, since categorical data has no concept of mean.  Sorry, but this just wrong.

You can use zonal statistics to determine the ... majority ... the minority... the variety

All other measures (aka, mean, range, std dev, var etc etc ) require interval/ratio data.

You can examine Con if you need condition checking, but you have (3 HSG * 23 LC ) combinations to work with.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

When working with categorical data, (such as your HSG data) being summarized with another categorical data set (like you Land Covers)... you cannot calculate a 'mean' class, since categorical data has no concept of mean.  Sorry, but this just wrong.

You can use zonal statistics to determine the ... majority ... the minority... the variety

All other measures (aka, mean, range, std dev, var etc etc ) require interval/ratio data.

You can examine Con if you need condition checking, but you have (3 HSG * 23 LC ) combinations to work with.

0 Kudos