Zonal Statistics Field Name Error 010123

Jump to solution
04-05-2013 01:02 PM
MerekStrand
Deactivated User
I'm trying to replicate the 5-step example outlined in the "How Sink Works" section of the ArcGIS Help files where the end result should give me a value for sink depths (and ultimately a depressionless DEM). (See: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//009z00000065000000.) I want to fill sinks in my DEM so I can more accurately use the Hydrology tools to create watershed basins, but before I use the Fill tool I want to find the Z limit. Step 3 of the 5-step example uses the Zonal Statistics tool to find the minimum elevation in the watershed of each sink (created in steps 1 and 2). However, Zonal Statistics fails to execute due to Error 010123: "Could not get field name."

I'm using the watersheds raster created in step 2 of the example as my Input Raster, "Value" as the Zone Field option, my DEM as the Input Value Raster, and choosing the MINIMUM option in the Statistics Type field. The only two options available in the drop-down of the Zone Field are "Value" and "Count." Could it be that the field names in the watershed raster (an integer) are called "Pixel value" and "Stretched value" (or "Class value" if the raster's symbology has been classified as opposed to stretched), not simply "Value"? (This raster has no attribute table but those field names become evident when using the Identify tool.) I tried manually typing those field names into the Zone Field to override the drop-down options but that didn't take.

I also read in another forum that this issue may have been fixed with service pack 3.1. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
The zone raster (your watersheds) must be an integer raster, and it must have an attribute table. If it wasn't automatically built, you can build one with the Build Raster Attribute Table.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but you may want to symbolize those watersheds with unique value or discrete.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
The zone raster (your watersheds) must be an integer raster, and it must have an attribute table. If it wasn't automatically built, you can build one with the Build Raster Attribute Table.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but you may want to symbolize those watersheds with unique value or discrete.
0 Kudos
RobMillman
Deactivated User
This is a really odd system - if you're meant to be following the steps in the help section then why would the tools default to a format that won't work with the help steps?
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
This is a really odd system - if you're meant to be following the steps in the help section then why would the tools default to a format that won't work with the help steps?

ArcGIS is exceedingly complex - which does make writing bulletproof tutorials very difficult.

If you have an issue with a tutorial in the help not working, please go to the online help page and post feedback. They do read the feedback and may be able to fix the steps in the help for the next person.

Did my suggestions help?
0 Kudos
MerekStrand
Deactivated User
The Zonal Statistics tool ran fine once I built the attributes table on my watersheds raster. Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos