Select to view content in your preferred language

What tool to use to find area of specific average density

12-24-2017 12:20 PM
DonatasBernatonis1
New Contributor

Hello,

I have to find the area, where forest density is above specific value. I can convert forest polygon to raster and calculate density for each cell. But how to combine these cells to area, where average area density will be above specific value? For example for the area with >=50% density, cells with >=50% density will be selected. Also two cells with 100% and 0% density will make average density of 50% too. Can Locate Regions tool be used to solve the problem? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Honored Contributor

Could you read about Extract by Attributes—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  ?

And If you haven't Density Raster , You can create one. read more about  Density toolset 

0 Kudos
DonatasBernatonis1
New Contributor

I think that Extract by Attribute will not help. The goal is to find area or zone where average density of all area (but not the density of each cell) will meet the desired density limit. As I showed in the example two cells of 50% density or one cell with 100% density and one cell with 0% density will form the area with 50% density.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A straightforward way of calculating 'percent inside' for each cell is to use map algebra to create a zero-one grid and then run Neighborhood statistics with mean. If your cell of interest has a circular buffer half inside and half outside, the average you will get is 0.5. You can then take this density raster and reclassify it or use Con, or Extract By Attributes to get the areas you want.

0 Kudos