Using raster attribute other than 'value' in map algebra

11-05-2010 07:35 AM
PeterHarrel
New Contributor
In the old Single Output Map Algebra statement, I could specify which raster attribute I wished the operation to be performed on by listing attribute name in the following format: raster.attribute. 

For example, a habitat raster with multiple attributes in addition to 'value' could be multiplied by a mask raster in SOMA by typing:
mask * habitat.type
where 'type' was a different attribute. 

This does not seem to be possible in the ArcGIS 10 Raster Calculator.  Is there another option?
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Diego_FabianPajarito_Grajales
New Contributor II
#START SHORT RANT

Why is it that ESRI chooses to not port certain existing functionality from earlier version of their software to newer versions?

Spatial Analyst/Grid Examples:
--------------------------------------
1. dot notation
2. docell
3. ability to run concurrent SA processes

Why not, as a first priority, port all the existing functionality, concentrate on making it better/faster, and then come up with new additional tools/functionality as a second priority???

From a user's point of view, it is very frustrating having to submit an "enhancement request" for functionality that had existed for decades, but then mysteriously disappears... Yarr!

#END SHORT RANT

This is all but new, Esri always do the same, so do not expect to have all your 9.x or 10.x scripts ready to work with the future 11.x or 12.x arcGis Versions.

It had happened at every version update with every product just try to imagine people working on the JAVA Framework in ArcGIS Server 9.2, I was one of those it was a mess.

I'm just going to look for another option for sure I will share with you my solution.

Diego P
0 Kudos
Diego_FabianPajarito_Grajales
New Contributor II
#START SHORT RANT

Why is it that ESRI chooses to not port certain existing functionality from earlier version of their software to newer versions?

Spatial Analyst/Grid Examples:
--------------------------------------
1. dot notation
2. docell
3. ability to run concurrent SA processes

Why not, as a first priority, port all the existing functionality, concentrate on making it better/faster, and then come up with new additional tools/functionality as a second priority???

From a user's point of view, it is very frustrating having to submit an "enhancement request" for functionality that had existed for decades, but then mysteriously disappears... Yarr!

#END SHORT RANT

I cannot understand why the Lookup function does not work in arcpy and give me some 01006 and 010327 errors.
I know this is not a real solution but I just had 6 raster files, so I decided to use the Lookup from ArcToolBox and get the new raster manually, It did not work.

If some of you get the point with that function let me know

Diego Pajarito
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
The Lookup tool should work in model builder.  I think that you are getting 010006 errors or insufficient arguments, which is prompting the unable to set the spatial extent error, 010327.  Both point to the issue that the model does not appear to be recognizing your raster.  I would be sure that the syntax is correct or since it is a model, the process that is creating the raster you are trying to use in the Lookup tool has been created, before the next action takes place.
0 Kudos
boonejardot
New Contributor
Im currently trying to figure out the exact same thing.  Let you know If I figure it out.
0 Kudos
boonejardot
New Contributor
Yes it works with Lookup.  Used the function Created a new raster that had the value set to the attribute that I prefered.  Works...  At first it didnt, but I had to change the folder/database it went into for some reason, then it worked.  Good luck.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
  I had to change the folder/database it went into for some reason, then it worked. 

Did the output workspace path that didn't work include spaces or unusual characters?
0 Kudos