Using Mosaic Dataset

Jump to solution
09-05-2014 08:59 AM
JessiecarEsguerra
New Contributor III

Hi, would like to seek inputs and advise on how to resolve issue in creating mosaic dataset. I was able to create mosaic dataset and see the output and check that it is good but when i tried to transfer the raster output to another server, it just didn't show up and looks like the file is corrupted or something. Any inputs on how to resolve this would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

19 Replies
JessiecarEsguerra
New Contributor III

The query definition would be the exact filename of the raster file used in mosaic dataset, right? Bcoz looking on the overview folder, the name of the files there are different.

JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you will use the file name of the raster.  This tool will automatically delete the associated overviews.  And, yes you can use the mosaic dataset to with the Flow Direction tool.  A new raster will be created and saved to your server.

JessiecarEsguerra
New Contributor III

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

If you get a chance, be sure to make this thread as answered to help other user's in the community.  Thanks!

JessiecarEsguerra
New Contributor III

Hi again Jake, I am wondering if the "overview" folder is enough to ensure that the mosaic dataset being moved to another server will work or show up the image. Would it be more safe to move also the actual raw file used in creating mosaic dataset? Just thinking of the completeness of the data/image in mosaic dataset.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

As long as the raw imagery is in a shared directory, and is referenced with a UNC path (i.e. \\<server name>\folder>) when loaded into the mosaic dataset, you will not have to move the imagery.

JessiecarEsguerra
New Contributor III

Hi Jake, after running fill process for almost 41 hours (i'm using a big file, DEM files) i get this error.

ERROR 010429:Error in GRID IO: S_VXfer: Read error.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I would recommend starting a new thread for this problem.

0 Kudos
JessiecarEsguerra
New Contributor III

Okay. I'll create a new discussion for this. Thanks!

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jessiecar,

I would agree with Jake's recommend however what I did was just to copy the overview folder and paste to another folder over the shared network and test it.

For example, when I was working on my NAIP on my c hard drive and then copy it to the server . Then I would copy the dataset to the server as well.

Then I would test it to ensure if this is working...