Trying to input XYZ bathymetry layer

08-07-2012 01:44 PM
LaurenSchwarzenberg
New Contributor
Hi all,

I am trying to input an XYZ bathymetry file (.mbd or .asc) into ArcMap 10. The file just lists lat, lon, and depth in three columns, and has about 790,000 rows. Right now, I am adding the table, displaying XY data, then converting the resulting feature into a raster (Conversion - Feature - Raster). This creates an appropriate looking raster. My problem is getting the correct cell size. The original file is in GCS WGS 1984, and I need to project to WGS UTM N16. When projected, the cell size should be 5 m exactly. I cannot seem to get the right cell size. I have tried playing around with the output cell size in the Raster-Feature tool, but A) I am not sure what cell size to use here to ensure that when projected, it is 5 and B) when I set lower cell sizes than the default, I often get diagonal stripes of no data across the entire raster.

Is there a better way to do this whole process? All I really need is to convert my XYZ ascii to a projected raster with a cell size of 5. Any advice is greatly appreciated... 

Sam
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Why not take the xyz data, create points via an XY Event Layer in WGS 1984. Then project the points to UTM and then either interpolate a raster or convert it to a raster there with the cell size of 5 meters. The point to raster or feature to raster tool will not interpolate between the gaps, if you have any, but otherwise should work.
0 Kudos
LaurenSchwarzenberg
New Contributor
Thank you so much. Worked perfectly. Feel stupid for not thinking of that but.....
0 Kudos