tabulate area errors

05-20-2010 10:25 AM
DebraFischman
New Contributor
:confused:Hello to the GIS community,

I am using the tabulate areas command.  I keep getting different error messages.  Here are two messages that I have received:

Unable to allocate space for polygon
ERROR 010024: Error during conversion.
Failed to execute (TabulateArea).
End Time: Wed May 19 14:24:51 2010 (Elapsed Time: 1.00 seconds)

The maximum record length has been exceeded.
Failed to execute (TabulateArea).
End Time: Thu May 20 09:59:40 2010 (Elapsed Time: 50.00 seconds)

The feature zone is hexagons with an area of 1000km2. The diameter of the hexagons is 3.9 km. The zone field is 'Unit_id', the unique value per polygon. The feature zone shapefile has 9,712 records.

The feature class is a 4km2 GRID npp.  The class field is the ???Value??? column.  The GRID has 6,690 records. The processing cell size is the same as the GRID cell size.

I created a subset of the feature class GRID and recreated hexagons that would just cover the subsetted GRID. I thought lessening the size of the files might solve the space error.   I also tried to increase the area of my hexagons to 5000km2. It still failed.

I looked through the old user forum to see if these issues have been addressed.  I rebuilt the VAT table of my GRID.  I still received errors.

Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance for your time and help.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JuanLaguna
Esri Contributor
Hi Debralynn.

Have you tried converting your feature input to a raster and using that for the input instead? It might help narrow down the scope of the issue.
0 Kudos
DebraFischman
New Contributor
I haven't had luck converting the hexagons to a raster data set.  They lose their hexagon shape.
Any suggestions on converting the hexagon shapefile to a raster data set?

Thank you for your input!
0 Kudos