Select to view content in your preferred language

Spatial Analyst Toolbar - Options

11-03-2009 10:13 AM
JDonoghue
New Contributor III
In previous 9.x versions, you can set your working directory and other options by selecting Options from the Spatial Analyst toolbar. How do you do this in 9.4? The Spatial Analyst toolbar is much more spartan than it has been in previous versions.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
KhalidDuri
New Contributor II
The Raster Calculator on the Spatial Analyst toolbar has been deprecated in lieu of the integrated Python environment introduced at 9.4 through the ArcPy site package. ArcPy is supported by various modules, including a map algebra module (arcpy.sa) that can be used to replicate the functions you were used to with the Raster Calculator. Defining functions like setting a default workspace could now be done in the ArcPy window using gp.workspace environment setting or the Current Workspace setting for any of the geoprocessing tools. The following links may assist you with acclimating to the new changes:

http://help.esri.com/en/arcgisdesktop/9.4/help/index.htm#/What-is-ArcPy-/000V000000V7000000/

http://help.esri.com/en/arcgisdesktop/9.4/help/index.htm#/Essential-ArcPy-vocabulary/000V000000V6000...

http://help.esri.com/en/arcgisdesktop/9.4/help/index.htm#/What-is-the-Spatial-Analyst-Map-Algebra/00...

Also, if you have any pre-9.4 Map Algebra statements that you'd like to migrate, see the following help article:

http://help.esri.com/en/arcgisdesktop/9.4/help/index.htm#/The-Spatial-Analyst-Map-Algebra--pre-and-p...

Let me know if you have further questions,

Khalid
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Thats what I am talking about John and Khalid.  Plenty of py for everyone to go around.
0 Kudos
JDonoghue
New Contributor III
From a programming and code management standpoint, it makes a lot of sense to organize the commands around a single Python environment, but from a user prospective (and I say this as a programmer), the implementation of map algebra in 9.4 could lead to some disgruntled users.

For example, pre-9.4, the raster calculator enabled you to enter a map algebra command into a single line. In addition, a map algebra function could be constructed through clicking buttons on the calculator. This was congruent with the query tool functionality and enabled novice users to easily get acquainted with map algebra.

In 9.4, it seems that the only method for issuing even a simple map algebra command that leverages spatial analyst, requires a few lines of Python code to import arcpy, import the spatial analyst module, and then write the line of map algebra. From a user perspective, this doesn't make their lives easier; this adds unnecessary complexity to what used to be a simple function.

It's analogous to how it was easy to calculate geometry in ArcView 3.x, and then in ArcGIS 8.x we had to write a few lines of VBA. People didn't like that because it made a simple function more complicated than it should be (and used to be). So in ArcGIS 9.x, the calculate geometry function was added to the context menu of the attribute table.

It's not that Python is a bad way of doing this; it makes sense to leverage it under the hood and expose it more command line oriented user and programmers. But I think it may be good to wrap some dialogs around the Python functionality so users are forced to write multi-line commands for functions they used to perform via dialogs. A lot of what I've heard about the UI goals of 9.4 is about simplifying workflow and the complexity that evolved in the pre-9.4 UI. This doesn't fit that model.

Just my thoughts from a usability perspective. I'm open to discussion on this.
0 Kudos
KhalidDuri
New Contributor II
Thanks for your input, John. BTW, I need to make a correction to my initial post, which completely assumed you were talking about the Raster Calculator's functionality. The other commands on the pre-9.3 Spatial Analyst toolbar, like the interpolators or surface functions, were simply deprecated because ArcToolbox possessed equivalent tools.
0 Kudos
JanBenson
New Contributor
I am in total agreement with jdonoghue2's posting.  I work with many researchers who use the software infrequently.  They can manipulate and use the raster calculator as the interface is simple.  The python window has the potential to be a show-stopper.  Users tell me they don't want to keep having to learn a new way of doing a task every time the software changes.  Their job is not to be a GIS expert, but instead to be a researcher.  The GIS software is a tool.  If the tool becomes too complex or difficult to use, they will simply switch tools.  Since many of their needs are not complex, there are other software choices.  As a full-time GIS professional I can adapt to these changes.  Some of my users may not be as willing.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Can't the raster calculator just be included in the customize box, like the little red toolbox.
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
In the previous version the Single Output Map Algebra and Multi Output Map Algebra tools were included in the Map Algebra toolbox. In 9.4 the toolbox still exists, but there are no tools inside. :confused:

What I find strange is that within the Python window the SingleOuputMapAlgebra and MultiOuputMapAlgebra functions exist (although the help windows states that help/gp/xml file for this function is missing). I wonder what ESRI wants with this functionality within Python (what will it add)?:confused:

I don�??t work with the Raster Calculator all the time, but for some projects I have to dig into it for a few days or weeks and then I don�??t use it for some months. For me too it was quite a shock that the Raster Calculator no longer exists in 9.4. However, after working with it (intellisense) and having seen the geoprocessing videos (http://resourcesbeta.esri.com/content/geoprocessing-video) I do see quite some advantages.  :cool:

Although, in some functions intellisense is not completely implemented (would like to have the neighborhood options to be shown as a list in the FocalStatistics function :rolleyes:), you must remind that the syntax of expressions in the Raster Calculator including floating data required the usage of spaces around brackets and stuff like that and help on syntax was not directly available.

On the other hand, I do agree that these advantages may not easily be adapted by the infrequent user. In another thread I read about the wish to include the Raster Calculator and this might be a nice addition , since simple things (> <) work differently in Python.
0 Kudos