Spatial Analyst:  Extract Values To Points Tool.  Memory issues?

09-06-2011 09:02 AM
BryanTaylor
New Contributor
Hi all.  I've built a model to extract value from 31 rasters and store those values in a point table.  The model adds the raster value field to the point table, adds a new field named after the raster, calcs the new field to be equal to the value field, then deletes the value field and moves on to the next raster.  It makes it through 29 rasters and then gives me this error:

ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression. Assignment to non-variable
Failed to execute (Extract Values to Points (30))

It doesn't matter which order the rasters are in, it fails on number 30.  After that, I can't even manually run the Extract Values to Points Tool.  I have to close the model and ArcMap and then open it again.  Then I can run it manually, or run the model (up to raster 29), then it's stuck again.  I've checked all kinds of stuff, but I'm at a loss.  I've read up on the error in some closed threads, but the error it not related to spatial extent or coordinate systems.  Anyone have any ideas on possible solutions?  My paging size nearly 6gb and my memory is 4gb.  By the way, the points coverage is only 1000 points.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Bryan -

Sometimes this error message is related to field names or table names not have the correct naming conventions.  I would recommend looking at Raster30 to verify that the field names don't violate conventions.  Please see the following URL for details:  http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=23087

Question for you - are you points stored in a Personal for Access geodatabase and is the output being created in the same Personal for Access Geodatabase?  If so, try to replicate the workflow in a file geodatabase.  Does the error message persist?  NIM062662 talks about this:  http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/role/beta10_1/TklNMDYyNjYy

Good luck!

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Bryan,

You should probably contact Esri Support to provide us with a reproducible case.  My only other suggestion is to use Extract Multi Values to Points instead.  The main benefits of this newer tool:

1. There is no output feature class - we simply edit the input.

2. Multiple input rasters simultaneoulsy

3. Output field name remapping.

4. Support for multiband raster input

This tool is available begining in ArcGIS 10.0.

Note: If completely unable to upgrade, you might find this useful.

Python garbage collection module. http://docs.python.org/library/gc.html  referenced in this thread.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/36799-Zonal-Statistics-as-Table-Overlapping-Polygons-Solution-Requi...

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
BryanTaylor
New Contributor
Update.  I've been able to work around the issue.  I didn't think about it until last night, but here is my current workaround (using 9.3.1).  I don't have 10 yet, so the new tool doesn't help.

The model will run through 30 iterations before it stops working.  When it stops working, as I stated before, I am unable to run even the Extract Values to Points tool manually.  At this point, if I close arcmap and reopen it, the model will run to the same point, or I can use the tool manually again.  So, this is what I have done:  I run the model until it crashes (all my intermediate data is left behind), then I close and reopen my project and the model, highlight the command in the model where the error occurred, and then click "RUN" instead of "RUN ENTIRE MODEL".  This effectively continues the model where it bombed out, working just fine until the model closes without any further errors.

So, I run the model in 2 parts, with a full shutdown of arcmap in the middle.  It's ugly, but it works.  Thanks for the replies, I checked all the stuff mentioned, and with the new version of arc available and the new tool, I don't think I'll spend the time to submit the error.
0 Kudos