Select to view content in your preferred language

Raster data

Jump to solution
07-26-2015 11:29 AM
SosinaA
New Contributor

Forest Service Research Data Archive - RDS-2014-0002  :  Data Source

All,

I would like to make a map that shows each kind or type of forest ownership for each state.  The map

shows the different types of forest ownership at the national scale.

Zonal statistics only provides the majority, mean, or variety (type) of one type ownership per state.

Attempted some modeling but I only ended up getting one type of ownership for one state (WY).

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Sosina

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Looking at the provided URL (not downloading the data) I notice that it is a raster with 6 different ownership types.

In addition to what Dan Patterson mentions, it is not entirely clear what you want to visualize. If it is statistics you are interested in you could use the Tabulate Area tool (Tabulate Area—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop))​ to create a table with the type of ownership per state.  You could join this back to the state and use pie chart to visualize the ownership per state.

Another option would be to use the combine tool Combine—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop to create a raster which contains each combination of state and forest ownership.

The easiest way (merely display) would be to draw the outline of the states on top of the ownership types... but I can't imagine that you are interested in this type of solution...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Questions is confusing, especially since one would have to download the data...

What have you tried?  Zonal statistics would be a last choice since it is designed to only show one property at a time.

Have you gone beyond basic mapping and symbology?  About displaying layers—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

or did you feel that these basics weren't appropriate.  Show what you have tried based upon the data your downloaded.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Looking at the provided URL (not downloading the data) I notice that it is a raster with 6 different ownership types.

In addition to what Dan Patterson mentions, it is not entirely clear what you want to visualize. If it is statistics you are interested in you could use the Tabulate Area tool (Tabulate Area—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop))​ to create a table with the type of ownership per state.  You could join this back to the state and use pie chart to visualize the ownership per state.

Another option would be to use the combine tool Combine—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop to create a raster which contains each combination of state and forest ownership.

The easiest way (merely display) would be to draw the outline of the states on top of the ownership types... but I can't imagine that you are interested in this type of solution...

0 Kudos
SosinaA
New Contributor

Dan and Xander,

Thanks for your suggestions.  Xander, I started with your last suggestion.  Tabulate area does give you a table for each state for each type of ownership with object ID.  I have not tried your second suggestion.

Visually I want to see perhaps polygons for each type of ownership for each state (if possible) and data wise, the area and do some some basic statistics.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I think I can use object ID to join the area table with the state base map.

Thanks!

0 Kudos