Select to view content in your preferred language

raster calculator - temporary files

04-02-2010 09:58 AM
PaulLohr
Frequent Contributor
How can I set where the raster calculator stores temporary files? Currently temp files are being written to c:\temp and there is not enough space on this drive. Thanks for any help.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Currently temp files are being written to c:\temp and there is not enough space on this drive.

Hi,

First of all I think it would be a good idea to clean up the temp folder. Probably your OS will also use the C drive, and having little space left will make your system very slow.

How can I set where the raster calculator stores temporary files?

If you are using any geoprocessing tool you can select the option "Environments..." in the "Geoprocessing" menu. This will open the Geoprocessing Settings dialog. Expand "Workspace" and change the values for Current en Scratch workspace.

Current workspace is where all results are written.
Scratch workspace is the location where temporary storage of intermediate results takes place.

In Python you could also use:

import arcpy
from arcpy import env
env.workspace = r'C:\Project\ArcGIS94beta\AHN2\AHN2.gdb'
env.scratchWorkspace = r'C:\Project\ArcGIS94beta\AHN2\AHN2.gdb'

You can also create a new geodatabase on the drive you want to use (through ArcCatalog) and then rightclick on the gdb and select the option "Make Default Geodatabase".

Kind regards,
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for your reply.

There is a limited amount of space on the C drive. Temporary files have already been deleted.

Have you tried setting the Scratch Workspace and watching where temporary files are stored when the raster calculator is processing? As of version 9.3, Scratch Workspace has no effect on temporary files written by raster calculator. Same for 9.3.1.

If anyone else has a solution to control temporary files from raster calculator, I would appreciate any help.
0 Kudos