Problem running Region Group tool

11-12-2010 03:13 PM
ClintCabanero
Occasional Contributor
Hello all,

I'm simply trying to run the RegionGroup Spatial Analyst extension tool in ArcToolbox.  For some reason, when running this against a large raster (northern California), the tools runs 'successfully' - meaning it completes without error - except that the output has a data anomaly - whereby there are striped bands across the output.  The cells in these striped bands also have large integer values (e.g. 1991 while all other values are 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. for each unique group).  This tool problem has been repeated by different people on my team.

I'm seeing this same RegionGroup tool problem in ArcGIS Desktop 10 AND ArcGIS Desktop 10 Service Pack 1.

Can anyone confirm this same problem - or recommend a work around?

Thank you
0 Kudos
30 Replies
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
Having submitted quite a few bugs to ESRI over the years, I am frankly a bit... jaded... and am now reluctant to submit every little issue I find (of which there are many). However, if I can't find a good work around to an issue, I will still take the time to submit a formal bug fix and repro case... In this case though, I have a good work around (keep scratch raster in GRID format).

I did try to post my dataset to this thread, but it is too large (1.9 MB zipped)... A clue that helps: I can repoduce the error with my original dataset that is 8287 cols x 12513 (~30,000 unique values)rows, but when I try to repro with a smaller dataset (4913 cols x 7165 rows and 18,000 unique values - which I created in order to make some repro data small enough to post to the forum), the output result is correct (i.e. I can't reproduce the issue with the smaller dataset). Like Pavan from ESRI said, it seem to only affect "fairly large" datasets.
0 Kudos
PavanYadav
Esri Contributor
Having submitted quite a few bugs to ESRI over the years, I am frankly a bit... jaded... and am now reluctant to submit every little issue I find (of which there are many). However, if I can't find a good work around to an issue, I will still take the time to submit a formal bug fix and repro case... In this case though, I have a good work around (keep scratch raster in GRID format).

I did try to post my dataset to this thread, but it is too large (1.9 MB zipped)... A clue that helps: I can repoduce the error with my original dataset that is 8287 cols x 12513 (~30,000 unique values)rows, but when I try to repro with a smaller dataset (4913 cols x 7165 rows and 18,000 unique values - which I created in order to make some repro data small enough to post to the forum), the output result is correct (i.e. I can't reproduce the issue with the smaller dataset). Like Pavan from ESRI said, it seem to only affect "fairly large" datasets.

Hi Chris,
We have a fix in place that seems to work for the datasets we have received already, but it would be good to have more datasets to check against to be sure.  I was wondering if we can get your dataset for our test. If so, you could please send me an email at pyadav DOT esri DOT com so that I can email your and provide with our FTP location where you can put your data.

Regards,
Pavan
0 Kudos
PavanYadav
Esri Contributor
Greetings,

If you can provide us with you test data, please send me an email at pyadav DOT esri DOT com so that I can reply to your email with FTP location where you can put your data.

Thank you.
Pavan
0 Kudos
BrettKetter
New Contributor
I have a script that I did not write but has worked fine until version 10. I do a con -> Thin - > focal max -> Region group. The tools work fine when done individually but in the model I get a 000863, 000864 ( ERROR 000864 Input raster: The input is not within the defined domain. ERROR 000863: Invalid GP data type) when I it goes to do the region group. I re-wrote just the beginning of the script and got the same error. I cannot figure why it is throwing this error. They are all grids and not overly large (18 mb). Like I mentioned, this worked fine last year on 9.3.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need for my course this semester. Thanks.
0 Kudos
PavanYadav
Esri Contributor
Greetings,
This issue has been logged as a bug in ArcGIS 10. We will do our best to get a resolution to this issue in an upcoming service pack. Please feel free to let us know about any additional information you feel is relevant to this bug.

Here is the bug ID and synopsis:

NIM070461: The Region Group tool may produce unexpected output - the data may have an anomaly whereby there are striped bands across the output. This happens when the input is fairly large.

Thanks
Pavan

NIM070461 has been resolved at 10.0 SP 4 and 10.1.

Thanks
Pavan
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
In v10.1 SP1 I found that the 'ExtractMultiValuesToPoints' tool, when exucuted on "large" datasets sproatically assigns NULL values in weird horizontal stripped patterns - very reminicent of the issues that had been reported here with RegionGroup and other SA tools. Funny, because I had started using the ExtractMultiValuesToPoints tool instead of the Sample tool due to a bug with Sample (Sample tool bombs on large datasets - which looks to be fixed in v10.1 SP2).

My immediate work around is to.... break the analysis up into samller pieces (tiles).
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Have you got a NIM, or a reproducible test case someone can send in?
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
Yes, I could submit some repro data... but more importantly I just want to raise the issue that there is likely a more of a systemic issue going on here though that doesn't involve just a single tool.... I belive the the 'NoData' horizontal banding issue is likely a symptom of some change that was made to the SA tools back in v10.0. I have seen the same basic issue with RegionGroup, Eulcidean Allocation, and now ExtractMultiValuesToPoints. Seems that it's only a problem when running 'largerish' datasets. My fix idea for the day (tiling the ExtractMultiValuesToPoints job into tiles) worked - and it's faster that running the whole thing at once doe to large areas of NoData pixels in my input rasters... So I guess it's a win-win sort of. My worry is that there may be a bunch of other SA tools that may be exhibiting the 'NoData' horizontal banding issue - I just have yet to notice them.
0 Kudos
AlisonSchilling
New Contributor III
This is still an issue with 10.0.3.....

there are bands of lost data that are filled with bands of "copied" data from above.

Using a GRID file as input & output has solved this issue for me.

thanks for all the posts...
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
This is still an issue with 10.0.3.....

[post=224254]As mentioned above by Pavan,[/post] this was fixed in 10.0 SP4 and later. You really should update to 10.0 SP5 or 10.1 SP1 if you can.

NIM 070461 The Region Group tool may produce unexpected output - the data may have an anomaly whereb...
0 Kudos