Mosaic to New Raster

Jump to solution
07-24-2014 08:24 AM
SarahNiemczura
New Contributor III

Morning Everyone,

I'm currently working on creating datasets with a uniform extent. This means some of the datasets I have need to be clipped down, and some need to grow and incorporate no-data fill values.

How does one go about this? I cannot seem to get a raster with an extent of -19,38,52,-36 to change to a raster with an extent 90,-180,180,-60.

Any thoughts on how to go about doing this?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Only if the file is saved to a new one

0 Kudos
SarahNiemczura
New Contributor III

I have tried that, copy raster and raster to new mosaic using the environmental settings extent to the 90,-180,180,-60 and it doesn't create the no data values to fill the extent. Yes I do save them to a new file.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you determine the actual extents of the files?  Did you try some of the other suggestions?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sol...the environment settings should be set in the Environments tab for each tool used in Arctoolbox...there are many cases where the general raster settings were not honored by the tools

MikeBallard
New Contributor II

Have you tried running ypur rasters through the raster calculator? You can set the desired output extent, and coordinate system. Ypu might also try the raster snap option too, which I believe will ensure each raster starts at the same coordinate position. You can have one input and one output raster. Failing that I would create a new "allones" raster of the desired dimensions and values all = 1, and in raster calculator try input raster * allones = desiredoutput.

SarahNiemczura
New Contributor III

How would one put the coordinate system and extent into raster calculator? I'm not familiar with that.

I did however come up with a work around in case I can't find any programming; I've made a model that will copy out the raster in the proper extent, copy will then be * 0 to make it blank, I will then mosaic the smaller rasters to the copy. Tedious but it's a fix for now.

0 Kudos
MikeBallard
New Contributor II

These Environment settings all effect the output of raster calculator. You can set environments before running raster calculator:

Cell Size, Current Workspace, Mask, Output Coordinate System, Extent, Scratch Workspace, Snap Raster

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//001w00000034000000

Your workaround sounds like a normal approach. The basic concept for geoprocessing is input> tool> output. Moat often they way to 'change' data is to process it into a new form.

Mike Ballard, Professor

Geographic Information Systems

Algonquin College

http://lyceum.algonquincollege.com/roomfinder/index.html?poi=t336b

Sent from my TU65 dual DECTape