Interpolation including  elevation information

08-13-2013 05:33 PM
SpyridonPaparrizos
New Contributor
Dear all,

I am trying to map some meteorological data (precipitation) for a certain area, but my problem is that none of the availiable methods asks for elevation data.

For example, i need to map the precipitation for a wide area which includes both mountainous and non-mountainous areas and in orderfor the mapping to be representative i need to include elevation, because areas with over 2.000 m alitude cannot have the same amount of precipitation with the lowlands.

Any help how i can make the correlation of the interpolation with elevation?

Thank you in advance
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III
you would have to interpolate points and have x,y,z values to create a DEM? Or search the web for a DEM in the area you are looking at.
0 Kudos
SpyridonPaparrizos
New Contributor
Dear friend,

Thank you for the relpy.

I already have a DEM (from 90m contours), my problem is how to include this DEM and connect it with the spatial analyst and the interpolation as I mentioned before.
0 Kudos
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III
OH! 🙂

you can overlay your points over the DEM in arcscene. Im not really sure I understand what you are trying to do. Are you trying to get z values from the DEM (use Add Surface Information (3D analyst tool)? Is your hypostheis that lower elevation will have less rainfall and do you want to just show it on a map?
0 Kudos
TOMKONG
Occasional Contributor II
Dear all,

I am trying to map some meteorological data (precipitation) for a certain area, but my problem is that none of the availiable methods asks for elevation data.

For example, i need to map the precipitation for a wide area which includes both mountainous and non-mountainous areas and in orderfor the mapping to be representative i need to include elevation, because areas with over 2.000 m alitude cannot have the same amount of precipitation with the lowlands.

Any help how i can make the correlation of the interpolation with elevation?

Thank you in advance

There is no data interpolation model in ArcGIS for your purposes.
If you have enough point data on mountainous and  at non-mountainous area, you can directly use surface interpolation model in ArcGIS and you don't need to consider the  elevation changes.
I thought you don't have enough point data on mountainous area and you want get precipitation data for these area, so you couldn't use surface interpolation model in ArcGIS. You need to create this kind of model based on the relationship between precipitation value and elevation. If you have relationship between precipitation value and elevation, then you can modify  precipitation value based on the Z after surface interpolation.
It's not the GIS issue but meteorological issue.
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
I'm not an expert in either, but Cokriging with Geostatistical Analyst (ArcGIS extension) can do this.  You can also probably use Geographically Weighted Regression (GWR) using Spatial Statistics (not an extension -Advanced license though).

Best Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos