Select to view content in your preferred language

How to create a buffer around raster cells in ArcMap 10.2 ?

11-14-2014 12:26 AM
JuliaKamp
New Contributor II

My aim is to indentify ecological corridors and for this I´m doing a habitat suitability analysis. I´m using the Corine LandCover raster layer (100x100m) and would like to create buffers around the attributes 'artifical surface'. Artificial surfaces do not display suitable habitat and have a light and noise disturbance range of 100m. Hence I would like to draw 100m buffers around these cells. However, the Buffer tool only works with poylgons and if I use the Expand tool it always shuts down the whole ArcMap program, when I start to run it. I also tried the Euclidean distance tool but my layer contains many different landcover attributes and not just the artifical surfaces, so somewhere I have to 'tell' that I only want buffer around artificial surfaces. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks in advance

PS: I´m quite a beginner with ArcGIS, so please keep it simple (if possible) .

8 Replies
JohannesBierer
Regular Contributor

My suggestion was to use expand ... but if it doen't work you could convert to polygon the things you want to buffer?

JuliaKamp
New Contributor II

Its too much data, my computer crashes when I try this, and I´m afraid to loose accuracy.

0 Kudos
JohannesBierer
Regular Contributor

Maybe this is the reason why expand doesn't work, I would create small packets of data and then do the expand.

For that you could use the fishnet tool ... to chlip data

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have to specify which classes to  Expand in the Spatial Analyst  what syntax did you use in ArcToolbox or in the Raster Calculator

0 Kudos
JuliaKamp
New Contributor II

Could you explain me how I can specify the classes which I want to expand? I am using from the ArcToolbox under Generalization the Expand tool.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

In vector world, it is called "buffer", in raster world it is called "expand" do you want to generalize your data or buffer it?

0 Kudos
JuliaKamp
New Contributor II

As explained above I want to enlarge the artificial surface attributes with 100m as they have a disturbance range of 100m and is no suitable habitat.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

as I explained what class or classes are are the artificial surface attributes?  That is the class or classes you use in the expand tool.  do note, that expand works in cell sizes not real units if memory serves.

0 Kudos