Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I get adjacent lines of a geodatabase?

Jump to solution
06-07-2018 10:48 AM
SandroMertens
New Contributor

Hello, i have a shape file with polylines (rivers). And i need the adjacent polylines. Is it possible? And if, how do I get adjacent lines of a geodatabase?Hello, i have a shape file with polylines (rivers). And i need the adjacent polylines. Is it possible? And if, how do I get adjacent lines of a geodatabase?

I am working with ArcGIS Pro and Python.
Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

There are several strategies to do this.  Here's a couple that can work if the data is in two or more feature classes (shapefiles):

Select by Location  Using Select By Location—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop   When using this process, look at the various "spatial selection options... " that can be chosen in the tool.

Buffer the river polylines by a distance, then Select by Location using the buffer as the basis to select lines.

Buffer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Also, can you expand on how the data is organized?  Are you working with all the lines in one feature class or more than one?  I.e there is just a rivers shapefile or instead there is a rivers shapefile and say a roads shapefile.

Chris Donohue, GISP

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

There are several strategies to do this.  Here's a couple that can work if the data is in two or more feature classes (shapefiles):

Select by Location  Using Select By Location—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop   When using this process, look at the various "spatial selection options... " that can be chosen in the tool.

Buffer the river polylines by a distance, then Select by Location using the buffer as the basis to select lines.

Buffer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Also, can you expand on how the data is organized?  Are you working with all the lines in one feature class or more than one?  I.e there is just a rivers shapefile or instead there is a rivers shapefile and say a roads shapefile.

Chris Donohue, GISP

SandroMertens
New Contributor

Thank you! I Selected by Attribute and made a buffer for one line. Than i got the attributes of the adjacent lines inside the buffer with Intersect.

It´s only one feature class with rivers. 

Thank you!

Sandro Mertens

0 Kudos