How do I choose the most centally located

Jump to solution
11-02-2017 09:48 AM
BrandonAdcock1
New Contributor II

I have a set of offices and a set of inspection locations.  I would like to equally distribute the inspections to the closest (as the crow flies) field office.  (i.e. 4 offices, so each one is assigned the 1/4 of the inspections closest to it).  Is there a way to do this that doesn't involve too much hassle?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I want to assign them to the second closest office and keep each of the offices with an equal number of inspections.  That second part is the one I'm having trouble with.

Use the Point Distance tool and sort and select the output table.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

To divide space equally in raster world, just try

Euclidean Allocation

with the usual caveat of specifying a reasonable cell size and extend and using a projected coordinate system and saving the resultant raster to a folder without a space or other weird characters, with a *.tiff extension plus anything else I have omitted.

BrandonAdcock1
New Contributor II

Thank you.  My data is currently stored as points for both the inspection locations and offices.  Not sure that a raster could express the data, but maybe...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Then the alternative is to produce a Voronoi Diagram (aka Thiessen Polygons) around your points... assuming you have an advanced license. orrrrr. the always free at any license level

Triangulation tools ....

There is always a hassle unless you have the correct license and software and don't need it for a while

BrandonAdcock1
New Contributor II

Thiessen Polygons are a cool analysis I didn't know was there.  Thanks. 

It doesn't take care of the component of making sure the inspections are equally allocated among the offices though.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You didn't see what software you were using. In ArcMap, if you right click your inspection sites, Joins and Relates, Join, by location to offices and pick nearest, you'll get the answer you want. Alternatively, you can use the Spatial Join tool (ArcMap or Pro) to do this - it's a bit more complicated, but it does work. None of these tools require more than a Basic license.

Finding the nearest feature—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

BrandonAdcock1
New Contributor II

Thank you for the help. 

I am using ArcMap, but have access to Pro as well. 

This tells me the closest office, but does not allocate them equally.  What it comes down to is I have one office with a bunch of inspections close to that office.  I want to assign them to the second closest office and keep each of the offices with an equal number of inspections.  That second part is the one I'm having trouble with.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That is getting more complicated and may involve using the Near tools then parsing your preference/allocation list once one hub is filled.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I want to assign them to the second closest office and keep each of the offices with an equal number of inspections.  That second part is the one I'm having trouble with.

Use the Point Distance tool and sort and select the output table.

BrandonAdcock1
New Contributor II

Thank you Curtis Price‌ and Dan Patterson‌ for the thoughts.  I ended up using the Point Distance Tool and sorted the output table for the top 1/3 of facilities at each of the field offices.  That looks to have gotten me what I needed.  I was hoping for something more elegant and automated, but got the job done, so that's a win for me. 

0 Kudos