Select to view content in your preferred language

how can I send the idw files by email and one more information, please

09-25-2012 09:40 PM
GiacomoRossi
Emerging Contributor
Hi, I should send by email 3 idw I created, but I noticed that this kind of files generate many others type of files, as .adf, .xml, .aux and .log. It is very confusing for those who receive these files, to open in a correct way the idw I want to show them.
Unfortunately I can't give these files to them by a usb pen drive, because they are too far from me.
I created a map.mxd where all the idw I need to show are included, but I think if in the computer of the people who receive these files, there aren't all the files I have listed before (.adf, .xml etc.) they can't see anything.
Another more advice, please: each one of these 3 idw are diveded in 6 agricultural yield classes (legend), from the lower to the higher production per hectare (tons/ha). My professor asked me to let understand the percentage of frequence of each class in each map. He just told me to use the spatial analyst extension, but he didn't tell me which spatial analyst tool (aspect, slope, hillshade, trend, etc.) I have to use for this purpose. I attach the 3 idw yield maps to let you understand better what I am talking about.
Please, can you advice me which method do I have to use to know the percentage of frequence of each class in every map?
Thank you very much.
Giacomo
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarcinGasior
Frequent Contributor
Hi, I should send by email 3 idw I created, but I noticed that this kind of files generate many others type of files, as .adf, .xml, .aux and .log.

If you have to send rasters in ESRI GRID format, just create new, empty catalog and copy/paste your rasters to this catalog in Catalog window in ArcMap or in ArcCatalog.
Alternatively, you can use another raster format which is stored in fewer files - for example TIFF. To change format use Copy Raster tool.
Regardless of raster format, always copy it in ArcMap or in ArcCatalog.

My professor asked me to let understand the percentage of frequence of each class in each map.

I suppose, you classified your raster in Symbology tab of raster layer Properties. To find how many pixels each class contains, it's necessary to reclassify your rasters (Reclassify tool) into classes you specify. You will get the raster with value attribute table with class name and summary number of pixels in COUNT field.
If you want just "understand" how numerous are classes use Histogram tool on Spatial Analyst toolbar.
I don't know any tool which in single step calculates classes percentages. But you can do it easily in Field Calculator. Firstly find the sum of all pixels (Statistics tool in attribute table) and then calculate what percent of this total each class is.
0 Kudos