Heat Map

08-16-2012 04:02 AM
MarkYoung
Occasional Contributor
Hi,
Is there any way to build a heat map in ArcGIS desktop 10 without paying for the spatial analyst extension or buying ArcInfo? Just a none off and I have an ArcEditor license but it won't let me trial extensions for free - only works in ArcView.
Thanks
Mark
Tags (2)
5 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, I don't know any other way to do this with the out-of-the-box tools in ArcGIS. You might look at some other ways to do this - like consuming a geoprocessing service which can create heat maps for you online or using some other GIS software.

By the way, would you consider getting an ArcGIS for Desktop Free Trial? It has Spatial Analyst extension.
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-desktop/free-trial
0 Kudos
MarkYoung
Occasional Contributor
HI,
Thanks for your reply. As it's just a one off I was really after a simple plug in. I think I can contact ESRI UK who can give me trial of spatial analyst for ArcEditor but I needed something fairly quickly.
Thanks anyways,
Mark
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Mark,

You can do a hot spot analysis with tools inside the Spatial Statistics toolset, which is part of the core product.  Have a look at the Mapping Clusters toolset.  Also check out How Hot Spot Analysis (Getis-Ord Gi*) works and the section, Visualizing Space-Time Results from Space-Time Cluster Analysis.

Best Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
MarkYoung
Occasional Contributor
Hi Eric,
Thank you for your mail. I ran the tools and they did apply some analysis to my dataset but I will have to read up on the information to understand how its working. At the moment it symbolises according to standard deviation which doesn't mean much to me if I am honest. I was really looking for a gradient symbolised map showing darker colours around areas of concentrated points.

Thanks
Mark
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
This may be a good starting point for understanding the results.

What is a z-score? What is a p-value?

Without Spatial Analyst you are somewhat limited.  I suggested this because of the time constraints it appeared you were under.  There is significant reading to undertake to fully understand the Spatial Statistics Toolset. 

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos