Select to view content in your preferred language

Flow accumulation with weights

06-27-2012 05:06 AM
FrancescaVerones
New Contributor
I have a problem with Flow Accumulation.

I have a DEM, on which I indetified and filled sinks and calculated the flow direction. This works and gives me a raster with resolution 0.00833°.

Now I want to run Flow Accumulation with a raster for weight. My weight raster is a 0.5° raster with water uses from surface waters. In each pixel the amount withdrawn in that respective pixel is given. I now want to accumulate these withdrawals, becuase once I have withdrawn a certain amount in one cell, this amount is ging to miss in the downstream river as well.

I re-calculated the raster to have the same resolution like the flow Direction raster (by multiplying with the area of the 0.00833° cells and dividing with the area of the 0.5° cells and then mosaic to the lower resolution).

The tool also runs but to me the results seem unrealistic: I get values up to 10^13 m3/yr, while I had in the original raster values of maximum 10^8. Is that possible?
I checked with rivers in the area and they have runoffs of around 10^10 m3/yr. That would mean my rivers run dry, which is not the case in reality.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
Maybe I'm getting you wrong here but note that the weights input into a flowaccumulation function multiplies the wt X flowacc in each cell.
So in this application your wt grid should be a proportion of water vol removed / total water, ie a number between 0 and 1.
Might need some extra toil here but if the water is extracted at only certain points then they should be set appropriately (like 0.75 meaning 25% of the input has been extracted) and all other values set to = 1 (100% passes through).

I think this should work.
Cheers, N
0 Kudos