Select to view content in your preferred language

Extracting highest point within a polygon using Terrain 5 dataset

11-14-2017 04:44 AM
THomasDanks
New Contributor II

Hello,

This maybe be a stupid question/simple answer scenario. I have a Terrain 5 dataset (OS Terrain 5 – height DTM and contour data ), existentially an ASCII grid. Its loaded in my ArcMap as point, line and area layer. I am looking to extract the highest point within a polygon. For example I create a polygon shapefile around a section of town and then want to find the highest point  (location X,Y) within this polygon I've drawn. Is this possible to do this just using this shapefile and Terrain 5 dataset? Can I use a standard toolbox tool for this, or does it require a few more steps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

10 Replies
THomasDanks
New Contributor II

Interesting, I didn't think to approach the problem this way. I am going to share my tool to the business I work at for others to use. I have converted my terrain dataset to raster with the idea to supply the raster file to users. Using this raster my tool essentially locates highest elevation within a polygon(s) area by using this method https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000011761 I've created a model to automate all the steps and added some additional customization e.g. It will also allow the user to define which polygon to use by a SQL (default mode =  it will locate the highest elevation point for each polygon and create a point for each). 

0 Kudos