Select to view content in your preferred language

Extract by Mask Issue

06-15-2021 11:29 AM
AlyssaManoa
Emerging Contributor

I have a set of aerial images that I need to cut around a border. I followed the steps for a typical extract by mask process. My first image came out just fine but the rest of my images will not work. Instead of cutting off the white space that doesn't show any aerial imagery it seems to be cutting almost everything except for a few random colored cells. If anyone has solved this issue before and could tell me what I'm doing wrong that would be really appreciated.

I've also attached images to give a better idea of my issue. Image given shows my first aerial photo and what it looks like on top of a base map. Image after extract by mask shows the first shot on top of a base map as well and is the product I want. 2 image given is the second aerial shot I was working on (but all of the other images give me the same problem). 2 image after extract by mask is the result I end up with which is not at all what I want. 

5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What's the intended purpose, i.e. for analysis or display? It also looks like some unwanted resampling has occurred on the initial image 1 where the tool worked as expected.

If it was me, I'd look to create a Mosaic dataset to contain all of these images, and either compute radiometric footprints or digitise manual ones.  You can also then colour balance the images etc.

Mosaic datasets—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Build Footprints (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I couldn't find a similar guide in Pro, so - Recalculating footprints radiometrically—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
khwairakpamkhoimusingh
New Contributor

i am also facing the same problem. 

my process includes (arcmap desktop 10.8 version)

1) making a composite image with 3 bands in tiff file format

2) using a shape file made from google earth was used.(from kml to layer converted, layer to shape file data export)

3)using shape file using "extract by mask" tool

4) results obtained a white image not showing anything but when used inspect has the data values of RGB.

** tried different tools and methods , working method includes data export from the extracted file. but there was some kind of data lost and not exactly the same as shown.

0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

When running ExtractByMask, can you try using the environment settings for the GP tool.

Set output coordinate system, cellsize, and snap raster to be the same as the input raster

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am unable to reproduce the problem from my end. Is it possible to share a Raster and a corresponding polygon feature class (dropbox link or equivalent), for us to test?

Could you share the steps you followed (Also mention Raster and Vector data format, and coordinate system, change in environment settings, if any)?

Think Location
0 Kudos
Shobhits
Emerging Contributor

Just to clarify, extraction by mask is used to extract a part of raster using a vector/raster file.

Make sure that both your raster and vector data have the same projection system. Go to spatial analyst tool>extraction> extraction by mask and try, it should work.

See attached image.

0 Kudos