Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating Flow Direction in ArcGIS 10.2

07-26-2014 11:20 AM
JessiecarEsguerra
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to create a Flow Direction from DEM Raster File using ArcGIS 10.2.

I was able to complete a few files and get an output for flow direction but there are some files that I encountered an error.

Error showing is below.

010067 : Error in executing grid expression.

I would really appreciate any input, comment or suggestion to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Jessiecar

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

lots of potential error: including:  Filenames > 13 characters and/or contain spaces or begin with a number;  file paths that contain spaces etc.

More details are needed

JessiecarEsguerra
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your inputs but I'll check on filenames and file paths. We are good with regards to number of characters and filenaming convention. Can you give me more insights on the error referring to "grid expression"? What other details you need for you to be able to help me on resolving this issue.

I do appreciate your inputs. Thank you!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

For example, what your workflow up to creating the flow direction?  Did you do the standard operations of filling sinks? were you running this in Arctoolbox, did you expressly set the analysis extent and cell size in the tool within Arctoolbox or did you rely on default raster settings.  Grid expression is sometimes generic...sometimes due to a mistake in the processing steps

0 Kudos
JessiecarEsguerra
New Contributor III

I actually run the DEM raster file using ArcToolbox. I will run it first in "Fill" then use the output in running "Flow Direction". I am just relying on the default raster settings. Do you think there is mistake on the creation of raster file? If so, is there a way I could repair it just like "Repair Geometry" in Feature Class?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You should never use defaults...every choice should be a conscious decision.  The DEM should be created with a specific cell size and extent in mind if interpolating from points.  The fill should use the extent and cell size of the DEM (see the Environments tab at the bottom right of all SA tools).  There is no Repair anything in the SA, you just spend a couple of minutes redoing it

0 Kudos
JessiecarEsguerra
New Contributor III

I tried to go to the Environment tab, under "Processing Extent" it has the default setting so I change it by browsing the DEM file that I am about to run in Flow Direction but it still has the same error. We've been running numbers of DEM files and only few shows this error while the rest has been completed successfully.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you mean the DEM that you ran Fill on?

0 Kudos
JessiecarEsguerra
New Contributor III

No.. When we run the DEM on Fill it was completed successfully but when we run it in Flow Direction, that's when the said error occur. We can't honestly figure out what the problem is and where to fix the said error.

Thank you so much for your effort to help. I truly appreciate it.

0 Kudos