Convert integer raster grid to float grid using one specific column in VAT

10-23-2012 08:58 PM
TungNg
by
New Contributor III
I have a integer raster grid which has a value attribute table with these column: Rowid, VALUE, COUNT, AWC_100, AWC_150 ... I want to convert that grid to a float one using the column AWC_150 from the VAT in ArcGIS 10.0

Does anybody know how to do this? Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
With the Lookup tool, you can create a new raster based on a field within the raster.  Then you could use the Float tool to turn the integer to a float.  You will lose the attribute table, but will gain the float raster.
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
How about just using the raster calculator and the Float() function?
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
if the field in the raster attribute table is integer then Lookup will create an integer raster and if the field is float then Lookup will create a float field.

i.e the type of the field dictates the output raster type

Steve
TungNg
by
New Contributor III
Thank you very much for your inputs everyone. I tried the Lookup function but ArcGIS kept quiting unexpectedly. Have anyone encountered this before? My area is about 83,000 km2 (32,000 mi2) and grid cell size is 1 km. I'm using ArcGIS 10 SP 5 in Windows XP SP3
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
That equates to a 288 x 288 columns x rows raster, which is small.
- What type of raster, Esri grid, img, tiff, etc.
- Is the join persisted?
- What happens when you throw it into CopyRaster or ExtractByMask?

Thanks
Steve
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Have you evaluated all of the values in that column that you are using to create the new raster?  Is there odd values within it?  Missing Values?  Or as Steve refers to is there a joined table to the raster?
0 Kudos
TungNg
by
New Contributor III
Thank you very much  jbswain & Steve. The grid I'm using is FGDBR type without any table associated with it. Somehow I changed from GRID to FGDBR type after clipping from a big raster to my research area. Today, I try to use Lookup for GRID raster and everything is ok again. I have no ideas what went wrong. Anw thank you again for your help guys
0 Kudos