Changing the Resolution of Digital Surface Models

01-29-2015 02:22 AM
MatthewMcDonald2
New Contributor

G’day ESRI forum

I’m having a bit of trouble with, what I assume is something fairly simple.

I’m attempting to produce Digital Surface Models (DSM) from lidar canopy data using the following methodology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze4j5WV4ZZU

I have designed an algorithm to identify crown and sub-crown peaks within the DSM using DSM’s with different resolutions (i.e. Terrain models with courser resolution will only identify 1 crown for a given tree while those with finer resolutions may identify 3 or 4 smaller sub-crowns for the same tree).

I can’t seem to work out where in the methodology on the link I can modify resolution so as to generate finer and courser DSM’s.

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Matt

P.S. I thought I'd post this as a discussion some time ago but I must have buggered it up somewhere as I am unable to find the discussion anywhere...

0 Kudos
14 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

And, if all we are referring to in this thread is how to create rasters from a las dataset use the Las To Raster tool (Thanks you to Xander for pointing this out to me a while ago).

Different output cell sizes can be specified in the environments and the sample distance. Set the extent explicitly so that each raster is exactly co-registered.

0 Kudos
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

I guess, the original question is how to accurately classify /identify the classes (crown and sub-crown peaks) from an un-classified DSM LAS.

0 Kudos
MatthewMcDonald
New Contributor

If I understand whats been discussed here (and I'm only a novice at this so its entirely possible that i don't), it seems that your trying to show me how to classify the las points. My las data is already classified, all I am trying to do is generate raster Digital Surface Model's of different resolutions so that I can feed them into my algorithm. I know my algorithm works, I've been able to get good results on DSM's before, all I need to work out is how to generate raster DSM's of different resolutions from the same las data.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I will not suggest that I know anything about LAS datasets, however, I do know where to find information on them and how to process them.  I am not sure that I gave you this link earlier...If I did, I apologize, but the long thread beneath this link contains a wealth of information. So if the outputs are to be raster, TIN etc then you can decide.  Good luck

0 Kudos
MatthewMcDonald
New Contributor

Cheers Dan, I'll have a bit of a look at it ASAP

Regards Matt

0 Kudos