Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS crashing while running Weighted Overlay tool in model builder

Jump to solution
08-09-2016 12:12 PM
PRASHANTPATEL
Deactivated User

Hello,

I have been working on some heavy shape files which includes Alberta's road, river, power gas,substations, land cover, slope, urban areas etc data where I am trying to perform the weighted overlay analysis in model builder using total of 7 files mentioned here, ArcGIS is getting crashed within seconds. I have check all the input files everything seems OK to me. Since yesterday, ArcGIS has crashed almost 25 times. When I use less number of files, say 5 instead of 7, weighted overlay is working fine.

My system specs are 8GB RAM, i5-4590, 3.3GHz, 64-bit. I don't understand the reason for this issue.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DavidYeany
Deactivated User

Let's first focus on figuring out why Weighted Overlay crashes Arc when I run the stand alone tool. This happens when I add more than 5 of the input layers in the ATV.gdb below.

All input rasters are 8bit integer, most unsigned, and all snapped to the same extent and same 30m cell size:

All input rasters have integer values from 0-3. Some grids have NoData values and not 0 values. Should this matter, as long as I scale those NoData values to 0 in the tool?

0 Kudos
DavidYeany
Deactivated User

Should it matter whether rasters are 'signed' or 'unsigned'?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you are using arcmap and not Pro... therefore you have limitations to memory access in arcmap, regardless of how much memory you actually have.  

options

• Background processing, if installed, uses 64 bit and permits larger memory access.  
  • Tiling (dicing) your study area (with a slight overlap) reduces memory, IF you reduce the analysis extent explicitely within the model and/or script and/or tool 
  • skip the model, learn how to script by exporting the python snippet and its associated environment information from the Results window Using the Results window—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 
  • run with a few samples and incrementally build until it crashes... run your operating system monitoring to monitor memory useage.
  • try it in ArcGIS Pro

In order dissect a problem, you have to break it into its component parts and sometimes, into smaller bites until you get a full process to work with the desired attributes for a prescribed spatial area.  Then you can increase the spatial area.  If that fails, decrease the attributes.  A balance will be found for the software used, the data types and the processes you are undertaking.  The rule of 'baby steps'  Good luck

0 Kudos