Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS crashing while running Weighted Overlay tool in model builder

Jump to solution
08-09-2016 12:12 PM
PRASHANTPATEL
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have been working on some heavy shape files which includes Alberta's road, river, power gas,substations, land cover, slope, urban areas etc data where I am trying to perform the weighted overlay analysis in model builder using total of 7 files mentioned here, ArcGIS is getting crashed within seconds. I have check all the input files everything seems OK to me. Since yesterday, ArcGIS has crashed almost 25 times. When I use less number of files, say 5 instead of 7, weighted overlay is working fine.

My system specs are 8GB RAM, i5-4590, 3.3GHz, 64-bit. I don't understand the reason for this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

d:academics\projectwork\gis\test practice\160610\replica_mohiba work\pref_ana_ref_mohib\pref_ana_rep_mohib.gdb\en_prefana_wo

124 characters in length  2 spaces   hmmmm not good

everything is converted to an esri grid if it is a shapefile.

can I suggest you try to move everything to d:\test

also... what is the cell size, and extent?  do you have a lot of small area?

and try again

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are there spaces in the paths or filenames for the inputs and outputs.

Can you elaborate on the details of 'seems fine', sometimes it is the inputs that are in error.

Also, details of file sizes etc. and have you read the details of the help topic just in case.

PRASHANTPATEL
New Contributor II

There are no space as such in either input or output files.

My inputs are raster outputs of reclassify tool. On basic shape files, I have performed multiple buffer rings, then dissolve, feature to raster and then reclassify.

Compressed file sizes are in the range of 700MB to 910MB. Total size of all 7 files is close to 5.87GB.

I haven't found any help option yet for this particular problem.

1.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

d:academics\projectwork\gis\test practice\160610\replica_mohiba work\pref_ana_ref_mohib\pref_ana_rep_mohib.gdb\en_prefana_wo

124 characters in length  2 spaces   hmmmm not good

everything is converted to an esri grid if it is a shapefile.

can I suggest you try to move everything to d:\test

also... what is the cell size, and extent?  do you have a lot of small area?

and try again

PRASHANTPATEL
New Contributor II

I tried moving the files in d:\Test drive but it's not working. Here is snapshot of crashed ArcMap.

Also, cell size is 30 X 30 m. There is enough small areas. For extent, I have attached image below.

As I mentioned earlier I performed number of operations before I finally got the inputs for weighted overlay analysis. All in all, the total file size of all the data comes out to be close to 31GB. However, raster inputs files for Weighted overlay analysis is around 5.87 GB.

3.png

Extent.JPG

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

there are still spaces in your paths... look at the dialog.  Now, go to the Results menu (geoprocessing menu section) and copy the results of a failed attempt.  It usually gives you more information that is reported by the dialog.  And you could simplify stuff by doing an incremental weighted overlay starting with just 2 inputs, then 3 once the paths are fixed.  You may be having memory issues or file issues until the base issues are addressed

PRASHANTPATEL
New Contributor II

I fixed the space problem in the path. Basically, I was running Weighted overlay analysis in Model Builder and this was not showing any entries in Result window. As soon the model is run, system got crashed withing 2-3 seconds.

However, when I opened the weighted overlay tool directly form the tool box (ToolBox/Spatial Analyst Tool/Overlay/Weighted Overlay) and run the tool after putting all 7 input files, fortunately system worked, so is the result window. I have got some output results although not what I desired but yeah, at least ArcMap didn't crash.   

Thank you for your solutions. It really worked.

BrianHall1
New Contributor III

In my own case, shortening the path length fixed it.  I had no spaces.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
DavidYeany
New Contributor

I am having the same issue with the stand alone tool as well as model builder. I want to combine 13 eight bit integer rasters into a weighted overlay. The tool seems to crash at 5 input layers now. I say now because a couple months ago I was able to run the tool with these layers in model builder. The tool also crashed ArcGIS when trying to process 6 input rasters in the stand alone tool. My machine has 16GB of memory and a 64bit processor. I have no spaces in my file names and have even reduced the length of file pathways substantially.

I don't see running multiple pieces separately as a viable option to the analysis because the layers are dependent on each other, summing to the total of the whole model.

Does anyone know if this is a known bug or is there a solution?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
PRASHANTPATEL
New Contributor II

ArcGIS crashes when your input raster files are not correct. 

First, make sure all of your raster files have proper and similar symbology (can be found under Layer Properties).  

Second, try to run the Weighted overlay analysis directly from the toolbox i.e. open 'Weighted Overlay' tool from (ToolBox/Spatial Analyst Tool/Overlay/Weighted Overlay), not in the Model builder interface. 

If you can share some screenshots of the file name and model builder operation, it would be a good help. 

0 Kudos