10.2 Intersection Snapping appears to have a problem

02-20-2015 10:09 AM
AmyRose
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am editing in 10.2 (ArcInfo-no service packs.)  I have been using the Split Tool on a line feature class to split where they cross a polygon feature class, using Intersection Snapping.

I have noticed two things:

1. My cursor still wants to snap to the edge of the line even though only intersection snapping is turned on (it doesn't show any snap tips for the edge)

2. If there is a vertex on either the line or polygon near the intersection, it doesn't always snap at the intersection; however, if there are no vertices near the intersection a snap tip does say intersection and it will split the line at the intersection.

I need to be able to split at exactly the intersection of the line and polygon.  (A check is ran on the data at a later time.)

Currently I found a workarond but it is not ideal: If I use map topology, select the shared node at the intersection of the line and the polygon and then use classic snapping to snap to the topology node when I split the line, it works; HOWEVER, I am trying to avoid using the more cumbersome map topology just to split a road at an intersection.

Any help is appreciated,

Amy Rose

GIS/Information Analyst

Background:

--Line and polygon feature classes are in sde

--Both are in separate datasets

--Lines participate in topology

--Spatial Index appears to be good

--Searched bugs and didn't find anything

--Tried a new ArcMap

--No basemaps

--Everything is in the same spatial reference

--Tried rebooting and walking away (several times)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Amy,

You could try this workaround.

1) Add a field (Text) to the polygon layer. Define same value to all the rows using field calculator (say "A").

2) Use Split (Analysis) tool. Use the polyline layer as the input layer. And the polygon layer as the output layer. In split field, select the text field you just created. And select a workspace for your output.

Let me know if it resolves your issue.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
0 Kudos
AmyRose
New Contributor III

Thanks Jayanta for such a quick response,

Unfortunately, each split requires specific field editing in the line feature class that cannot be done programmatically.

I also am unable to add any fields into our database structure.

I will keep this in mind for future reference.

Thanks again,

Amy

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I don't have a specific solution, but a few ideas to try:

1.  Check the Snap Tolerance.  Experiment with using a different tolerance just to see if that is what is throwing it.

2.  Start a new File Geodatabase and copy your feature classes there.  Then try the Split process.  If it works, it indicates the issue is likely something to do with your  feature classes being in SDE.

3.  Along the lines of #2, you can implement Jayanta's idea there, as unlike in SDE you have total control over the Schema (so can make the new fields needed).  Then if all goes well, move the results back to SDE.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos