Workflow Manager privileges

01-26-2012 05:28 AM
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor
I need to create a step that reconciles and post the Job Version to SDE.DEFAULT. In our envirment SDE.default is protected so only the sde user can edit it. In the workflow manager, every user work in their own version and has their own db login to connect to the geodatabase. What I want to do is, have a reconcile and post step, that can overwrite the configure user so that the step runs the rec and post as the sde user. I want the QC user to be able to post against sde.default, but that the QC gets this specific privilege in a specific step and after that step return to his original privileges (QC is login to the db as his own database user, change the login as sde so he could post). Is this possible? I do not what to open ArcMap login as SDE to be able to post, I�??ll like to run this as a gp.step in WFM.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11449[/ATTACH] my users
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11450[/ATTACH] user that can write or modify my db,
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11451[/ATTACH] QC with restricted privileges.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11452[/ATTACH] I want to to that in a specific step
0 Kudos
3 Replies
tranphuong
New Contributor
I think you dont need to add step "change user" because you can assigned the step "launch arcmap" by another user. Automatically, that user will receive that job and be able to run that step.
I m doing the similar thing with you. I create users in DB but they dont have any DB and if you are administrator of DB you can give version to specific user. the user in DB and user in WF have to have same name.
My english is not so good. hope can help u somehow.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: diegollamas

I think you dont need to add step "change user" because you can assigned the step "launch arcmap" by another user. Automatically, that user will receive that job and be able to run that step.
I m doing the similar thing with you. I create users in DB but they dont have any DB and if you are administrator of DB you can give version to specific user. the user in DB and user in WF have to have same name.
My english is not so good. hope can help u somehow.

Thanks, but that's what I don't want to do, launch arcmap and have other user with administrator privileges to do the post. That's why I want to give administrator privileges to the user that is doing the QC just to execute the step that has my gp model to post without open arcmap again and after run that step take those privileges back.

Thanks anyway.
0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
You will have to write a custom component for this to happen. How familiar are you with python scripting? Maybe you can create a python script that will change the credentials at run time? Or you can create a custom step using a .NET language of your choice and embed the SDE user credentials in the code.
The other option is when setting up the GP step, you can pass in the input workspace parameter as SDE file that has the sde user credentials. This is not safe because anyone that has access to that file can connect to your database and make changes that only the SDE user should be allowed to do.

I am not sure there is away around this without creating a custom step.
I hope this was helpful.

Thanks.
Tope
0 Kudos