Territory Solution using Custom BDS Layer - Terrible Performance...unusable, really.

08-20-2013 10:40 AM
KristopherPfeiffer
New Contributor
Good afternoon.

I'm a new ArcGIS user...I've been using the tool for about a month.  I'm running Business Analyst Desktop v10.1.85.  I'm running on a 32bit Windows 7 i5 machine, with limited RAM (2GB), and an SSD.

I created a Custom BDS layer, using standard ESRI data and some ACS data.  The base geography is at the US County level. 

I wish to create Territories using our existing company territory data, which is available in a table with ArcMap.  When I ask ArcMap to create the territories using existing definition on a database, I select all of the variables I want to include (there are quite a few variables). 

It takes about 1 1/2 hours to create the Territories (they number about 100).  Once created, however, it takes ArcMap about 30 minutes to load and display the resulting Territory layer in ArcMap.  Once loaded, it's practically impossible to do any work whatever in the tool.  It's constantly giving the spinning-circle-of-desperate-computation when I try to do anything once the Territory layer is loaded and visible. 

What's going on here?  As it is now, this is absolutely unusable. 

Thanks,
Kris
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Good afternoon.

I'm a new ArcGIS user...I've been using the tool for about a month.  I'm running Business Analyst Desktop v10.1.85.  I'm running on a 32bit Windows 7 i5 machine, with limited RAM (2GB), and an SSD.

I created a Custom BDS layer, using standard ESRI data and some ACS data.  The base geography is at the US County level. 

I wish to create Territories using our existing company territory data, which is available in a table with ArcMap.  When I ask ArcMap to create the territories using existing definition on a database, I select all of the variables I want to include (there are quite a few variables). 

It takes about 1 1/2 hours to create the Territories (they number about 100).  Once created, however, it takes ArcMap about 30 minutes to load and display the resulting Territory layer in ArcMap.  Once loaded, it's practically impossible to do any work whatever in the tool.  It's constantly giving the spinning-circle-of-desperate-computation when I try to do anything once the Territory layer is loaded and visible. 

What's going on here?  As it is now, this is absolutely unusable. 

Thanks,
Kris

Kris,

Based on that the information you provided there are several issues that are impacting the performance issue you are encountering.

First issue is the PC there is a 32-bit OS and only 2 GB of system memory.  It is strongly recommended to be running a 64-bit OS and at least 4 GB of RAM.  Unfortunately the detailed system requirements link is broken at the moment (http://wikis.esri.com/wiki/display/agbasr/Business+Analyst+10+Requirements).  I am checking internally to get that resolved.

Also there is an open bug/issue that is impacting some BA10.1 2012/2017 install that is specific to 32-bit operating systems (mostly WinXP users though it includes Vista/Win7 32-bit systems as well) and causes performance related issues in a number of Business Analyst functions/tools.  This issue might be contributing to your performance issues.

On Territory Design usage I will check internally to see if there are some practical tips that can improve performance as that is something users have reported before.  What is your alignment layer and before creating it did it have a table join?

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
AndreyLysuho
New Contributor

Kris,

Custom BDS with joined external data working as dynamic database - it reads not optimized data from both source tables on each request. It is OK for some simple, one-time, analisys, but "Territory Design" tool reads a lot of data from this layer contiguously.

I can suggest to export the Custom BDS layer to standard shape file and then use result layer as alignment layer for territory design. It should solve the performance issue.

To export layer: right click on the Custom BDS layer in TOC and select menu command "Data\Export Data...".
Also, you can setup fields to export (to avoid exporting of about 2000 fields from standard ESRI data): right click on the Custom BDS layer in TOC and select menu command "Properties". In the "Properties" dialog open "Fields visibility" tab and setup only usefull fields as "visible".

Best regards,
Andrey.
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks for chiming in, Andrey, that was a very informative post.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos