Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I Customize the School Locator Solution?

07-17-2023 10:37 AM
LeviCecil
Regular Contributor

I've been using the school locator solution since v1. I'm starting the process to upgrade to v2 to take advantage of the ability to include bus stops data. The problem I'm running into is that the way that the locator is configured, it's only looking for elementary, middle and high schools. Our district has a combination of K-5th grade, K-8th grade, Middle and High schools. I've been able to add these as domain values in the hosted feature services and work with them in the schools data management aprx, but when I try to configure the web maps or hub sites, I still only see elementary, middle and high schools as options. I was able to overwrite the web map with the new version in my screenshot, but I'm at a loss on how to configure everything in the instant apps and hub sites. The instant apps seem to be using the nearby tool, when what I need is zone lookup. I only want to see the schools (K5, MS, HS) within the attendance zones that the searched address is located in (and only the bus stops associated with those schools), not all the schools, attendance zones and bus stops within a search radius. Is this possible with the solution at v2? Any help would be appreciated.  

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

@LeviCecil, in the latest release of ArcGIS Online the NearMe widget in ExB now supports the ability to configure a message action on selection change. You can use this to filter and only show the school bus stops that are related to the selected school in the widget. This should allow you to select the elementary, middle or high school after you search by district and display only the bus stops for that location.

We have not updated the solution to leverage this pattern yet and will look into doing this in a future release but you should be able to take you existing layers and maps and create a new ExB app with this widget to create this effect.

0 Kudos
LeviCecil
Regular Contributor

Hey Chris, I finally started working on this. I got it working, showing me only bus stops associated with the school I enter into the search bar. The problem I'm seeing now is that I can only have a maximum search result of 20 in the Near Me tool. Some of our schools have dozens of stops and we need to display them all. Also, are the search results based on proximity, or just the order of points in the attribute table? It would be nice if we could filter by school and display closest points at the top of the list. 

0 Kudos
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @LeviCecil, Could you share some screenshots? What you describe is not they way I was expecting this would be implemented.  

0 Kudos
LeviCecil
Regular Contributor

I followed the steps in this blog post to search by school to see only the bus stops associated with that school. I'm kind of lost on how to make this happen. Again I don't care about proximity or distance, I just want to type in Lincoln and see all of the Lincoln bus stops in a list, and be able to click and zoom to bus stops. Is this possible with Near Me? In the example below I searched for West Sylvan middle school and I see 20 stops. There are many more stops than that, but that's the maximum allowed

Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 12.24.58 PM.png

0 Kudos
LeviCecil
Regular Contributor

Ah OK. Thanks! I'd love to be able to use this solution when it has more functionality. 

0 Kudos