Calculating distance between point in different layers

02-20-2019 01:59 AM
christophe_scheunders
New Contributor

Hi all,

I am trying to calculate the distance between 2 points but not the shortest distance:

1 layer contains the referencepoints  eg 1 -1.1- 1.2-2.5 etc this is the "roadreference"  and the numbers are not necessarily consecutive but add up or down. let's call it "roadreference".

The second points layer is the info collected at location let's call it "pavementinfo" 

So i want to calculate the distance from each collected point realative to the point at the "roadreference".

eg

the first pavement point starts at roadreference point 1.2 + 7m , the next collected point is 115m further so that point is at roadreferencepoint 1.3+22m.

Is this possible with an existing tool? Or is it simply not possible? Any ways to work around it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

Look into Linear Referencing.... there are tools available to do what you want.  But this require that you create "Routes."

0 Kudos
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

I ran across this post in ersri online that you may find useful using arcgis runtime..... https://community.esri.com/thread/229025-create-points-at-equal-distance-along-a-polyline 

0 Kudos