Bing Search Bar No Longer Works After SP2 install.

07-20-2011 07:27 AM
RyanFurlong
New Contributor III
Greetings everyone, I just installed SP2 and now Bing Search does not work any more.  I need this to do my job, does anyone know why it has stopped working?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Could you provide a description as to what happens?  Is there an error message or some type of freeze?
0 Kudos
DanielWood
New Contributor
I am having a similar issue after the SP2 install.  When you type in a geographic location such as New York City, NY or Boston, MA it says "There are no results for your search" When you type in something like "Pizza" in Boston, it will bring up Pizza business results, but does not find the geography of general searches for cities.
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
There appears to have been a license change which necessitated the removal of the geocoding service from Bing.  Business searches and business searches by place still function normally (ex. Pizza, or Pizza in Salisbury Maryland).
0 Kudos
DanielWood
New Contributor
Is there another quick method for pasting in a lat/long and returning a point? The geocoder works for addresses, but doesnt like lat longs.  I know there is probably a dozen ways to do it, but the bing search method was very quick and easy. 

It is disappointing to lose functionality with an update.
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Daniel,

I believe the Go to XY tool could be a replacement when working with lat/longs.  The tool is located on the Standard toolbar I believe.  Below is the link to the online help that describes the functionality.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00660000043r000000.htm

Also here is a Business Analyst Blog post that provides some additional alternatives and information on the changes to Bing.

http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/businessanalyst/archive/2011/07/21/BA10SP2-and-the-changes-to-Bing-S...

Regards,

Jason
0 Kudos